Tubeless Sealant ?

*AL*
*AL* Posts: 1,185
edited January 2010 in MTB buying advice
I've gathered all the kit to convert to tubeless bar the solution.
I'm going with rim tape rather than the ghetto system and some new Spesh 2bliss tyres, but from what I can gather the 2 main solutions (Stans & Joes) both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Stans, thicker solution and better sealing properties but dries out quickly so constant top-ups ?

Joes, thinner solution so lesser sealing properties but doesn't dry out quickly so it's fit and forget ?

Other ? What have you ?

Any user input would be most welcome :D

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I've been getting on well with Stans, though it doesn't seem to deal well with sidewall holes, then again I'm not using UST tyres so it's not very fair to complain.

I was planning to use Cafe Latex next, since it's had some great reviews about ease of sealing, but by all accounts it's not as good with punctures so perhaps not.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • *AL*
    Northwind wrote:
    I was planning to use Cafe Latex next, since it's had some great reviews about ease of sealing, but by all accounts it's not as good with punctures so perhaps not.

That's would seem on par with the joes then ?

Stans would look to be the obvious solution but if all goes well and my tyres last a fair old while, the drying solution and constant top ups would point to a build up on the inside of the tyres which would possibly compromise the Stans sealing action and to a lesser degree carry a weight penalty too ?

Not having tried it yet I'm unsure how much the Stans needs topping up or how frequently either ?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I've never topped it up yet... Think the lot in my rear tyre's about 4 months old or so.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • If these latex solutions are anything like the latex based glues that we used at school as kids,presumably you can peel it off once it dries,and put in fresh?

(Too much expereince of creating peeeling skin during dull moments in craft at school......) :wink:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • glen4
    glen4 Posts: 250
    I top up my tyres about every 4-5 months, depends on a few things, how porous the tyres are, what temperature the bike is kept in being the two that spring to mind.....
    2009 Cove Handjob
    2009 Cove Hummer
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Stans, thicker solution and better sealing properties but dries out quickly so constant top-ups ?

Not sure where you have the idea of Stans being a thick solution, its pretty much the same consistency as milk....slime (green stuff) is a thick solution, never used Joes, as far as topping up, as mentioned maybe 4-6 months, depends if you have any flats or not. If you're using a Stans rimstrip its an easy job as they come with removable valve cores (you will need the valve core tool and syringe to top up via this method), or just pop a section of tyre off and top up that way.
  • i've been using stan's for about 1000miles or so on thorny paths etc.no problems with drying out or top ups and have only had 3 punctures that didn't seal.one was a glass cut which probably had no chance and another was almost certainly because i didn't have enough sealant left to do the second wheel so that's my own stupidity rather than a 'real' failure.overall i'm hugely impressed both with the conversion, sealant, :shock: :D reduced weight,ride feel,reliability etc etc. fantastic. i recently bought set of prefilled slime tubes for other wheels,good god the weight!
  • *AL*
    stu8975 wrote:
    Not sure where you have the idea of Stans being a thick solution

Not thick, thicker.

From what I can gather the Stans has more/larger particles in the latex which is more effective at sealing holes and larger holes to boot compared to Joes ?

It's good to read that in the 'real world' the top-ups with Stans is significantly less that has been suggested elsewhere.

I don't really suffer from tremendous amounts of punctures as such, but as always when you do have one it's in the most inconvenient place/time
    plus it would be nice to drop the tyre pressures for a little more traction here and there.
  • I'm currently using Joes whihc has been in for a few months with no issues so far :) I've not had a puncture of note in that time or noticed any decrease in performance when riding in the recent freezing conditions. In the past I have used DT Swiss solution and Wheel Milk from www.justridingalong.com again with no problems and would be happy to use either again.

I have read somewhere that you can also use art latex which is available from, strangely enough, art shops. Same bag of bones only cheaper.
    Wow great ship man. Looks like a fish, flies like a fish, steers like a cow.

HECKLER
    exercise.png