Garmin Edge 305 altitude wobblies

JamesB
JamesB Posts: 1,184
edited January 2010 in Workshop
In the last few months my 305 has twice thrown up odd altitude readings during rides---on both occasions the altitude reading was wrong by a large margin and the grade function showed me going downhill on uphills :? . Garmin Support just say reboot which works but of course you then lose all data and settings :( . Has anyone else had this issue and how is it solved ??(ps it is NOT due to atmospheric pressure weather driven variatiosn as my home barometer was unchanged on both occasions). For me the altitude / grade function is quite important!

Comments

• torrens
    torrens Posts: 32
    My 705 occasionally throws elevation/gradient wobblies even though it has an internal air pressure transducer plus GPS. However, it only does this when the roads are wet and /or it's raining. I think if the little sensing holes on the case get water on 'em then funny readings soon follow. I just live with it.

Think this topic has been raised before on here....
  • torrens wrote:
    My 705 occasionally throws elevation/gradient wobblies even though it has an internal air pressure transducer plus GPS. However, it only does this when the roads are wet and /or it's raining. I think if the little sensing holes on the case get water on 'em then funny readings soon follow. I just live with it.

Think this topic has been raised before on here....

+1. If a drop of water gets into the barometer sensor hole, I think.
  • fishyweb
    fishyweb Posts: 173
    +1 on my Edge 305. On a rainy ride, my altimeter started showing nonsense readings. Dried it on a radiator and it was fine on the next ride.
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/287459
    Member of http://www.UKnetrunner.co.UK - the greatest online affiliated running club
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    ++2 from me too, the first time in torrential rain and fast downhill, second time last week very cold and damp. So its just a case of letting it dry out rather than reboot I hope :) At least tehn it should be OK on Pyrenees trip in summer with less rain than Wales!
    thanks
    James