Diff between integrated and standard headset??????????

prb007
prb007 Posts: 703
edited January 2010 in Workshop
Just bought this off Planet X........

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/wp- ... e1200b.jpg

and it has a 'standard' headtube.

My old Kooka Carba (for sale in classifieds!) has the integrated type h/s.
May seem like a daft question, but will i be able to fit a std. headset to my old
forks? Will the bottom crown race be the same size as standard?
If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    If you get a Chris King (best choice for a standard headset) you'll have to use the CK crown race.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    clear as mud that link.... isn't it to do with the way the head tube is made - from a seperate bit of gubbins?

Integrated makes the bike heavier - more metal - but stiffer????

A brief layman summary would be good cos I never quite got my head round it when I bought mine!
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Scrumple wrote:
    clear as mud that link.... isn't it to do with the way the head tube is made - from a seperate bit of gubbins?

Integrated makes the bike heavier - more metal - but stiffer????

A brief layman summary would be good cos I never quite got my head round it when I bought mine!
    There isn't really any practical consequence –for the rider– from the different designs of headset; it's when you need to replace a part of one that you wish there weren't so many different types. I'm sticking with standard threadless for as long as I can.

BTW mmacavity - you might want to forewarn people that that's a 5MB pdf. Big pdf's can be browser-crashy.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    balthazar wrote:
    BTW mmacavity - you might want to forewarn people that that's a 5MB pdf. Big pdf's can be browser-crashy.

It's not the size, it's the speed of the transfer...it's slow at 22.5 KB/s.
    You could just right click the link and "save content as.." onto your desktop.

Good details though a bit too technical :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If new and old headsets both use the same size of cartridge bearing, then yes - the problem arises if you mix a Campagnolo, 45 degree chamfer with a Cane Creek with 36 degree chamfer on the bearing. Take the new bearing and slip it over the crown race to see if it 'seats' properly.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    prb007 wrote:
    Will the bottom crown race be the same size as standard?

as long as the fork steerer is the same diameter as the one designed for the new frame. EG. 1 1/8" yes the new crown race will fit on your old fork.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown