Best Stem type for xc and technical single track?

brady10
brady10 Posts: 195
edited January 2010 in MTB buying advice
Best type of stem for an xc riders who likes to thrash about on technical trails too. Im 6ft 4, and bike frame is 22".

Cheers
WOW really? Carbon Fibre Hubs?? Well how about chucking that kebab in the bin?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    one that is the right length for you.

what is wrong with the current one and what is its length?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • brady10
    60ish mm, the bars are basically too far in front, causing me to lean forward in an awkward posistion.

I've seen on some top bikes , the stem has to extruding stem so to speak, whats the difference between those and the ones with an extruding stem?

Not sure if im making much sense here=/
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sounds like your bike may be too big with an overly long top tube.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    60mm sound way too short. for general trail riding 100mm is normalish maybe 90mm.

as sonic says sounds like the bike is too big.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • brady10
    Yeaaaa that has occured to me, but i thought maybe buying one of those non extruding stems may help.

Orrrrr, looking at a new frame, kinesis xcpro2. Any info you can tell me about it?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You mean a zero length stem? Don't do it!

What bike do you ride currently (year, model). You need to compare the geo to that of the Kinesis.

You could try moving your saddle forward with your existing bike.
  • brady10
    it was a cheap £200 bike . coyote frame. my plan was to build around it, which i have done with good results. However listening to your advice , and internet , magazine reviews etc....., i think im gonna need a new frame.

Although ive never really understood all the geometry shit=D even though i do a-level maths=D