Will 2.35 tyres fit my 2008 Kona Cindercone frame ok?

Sloper
Sloper Posts: 141
edited January 2010 in MTB buying advice
Will 2.35 tyres fit my 2008 Kona Caldera/Cindercone frame ok?

I'm looking at new tyres for my newly-built bike, ready for doing the Trans-Pennine Trail in the spring and thought about the fatter tyre as I want some long distance comfort, especially at the rear. I love the look of the Kenda Small Block 8s but I've read that these tyres are particularly fat for their stated sizes though, and to check if they'll fit the frame.

Or should I consider another tyre, maybe a 1.95 Kenda SB? I'll also be commuting on the bike.. Is the extra drag of a fatter tyre much of a problem?

Btw, It'd be good to see a photo of these tyres on a bike... :wink:

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    fatter tyres definately drag more even when pumped up hard, some will be better than others but pretty much any off road tyres is going to be hard work on the road.

its easy enough to tell if the tyres will fit, what have you got now and how much room is there either side between the tyres edge and your frame at the bb area and seat tube/ seatstay area?
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    The small block 8s are a good XC tyre, but that is some fat rubber at that width and you definitely wouldn't want a fat tyre for comfort. You want fat, for better grip on climbs or mud. If you want a more comfortable ride, get good quality shorts with a gel pad and even a gel seat. I would go no bigger than 2.1 and try to get the folding tyres if you can with the kevlar bead.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    diy wrote:
    The small block 8s are a good XC tyre, but that is some fat rubber at that width and you definitely wouldn't want a fat tyre for comfort. You want fat, for better grip on climbs or mud. If you want a more comfortable ride, get good quality shorts with a gel pad and even a gel seat. I would go no bigger than 2.1 and try to get the folding tyres if you can with the kevlar bead.

shorts will deffo help but a good tall carcass fat tyre behaves a little like short suspension and takes a good bit of sting out of the tail. tall carcassed tand fat yres can come with other inherrant problems though so as with pretty much everything, its a careful balance.
  • Sloper
    Good idea about the shorts. I don't know why they hadn't occurred to me. I'll get some!

Re. the seat. I've already bought one, a Charge Spoon, based on recommendations on here.

As for measuring the present tyres, I can't do that as there are no wheels in it at the moment. It's a new build, with new wheels from Merlin on the way. Besides, I've read that these tyres are very fat for their stated size.
    I've got some Panaracer Mach SS tyres on my other bike (Hm, I could swap the wheels) They're probably as good as anything else for doing the Trans Pennine Trail on but they're a harsh ride though and I fancied something that looks better and would provide more comfort.

diy, I'm thinking of the extra cushioning of a fatter tyre.. all that more air inside.

Cheers chaps.
  • diy
    What rims are you buying?

the Stick-E tyres are soft anyway, I'd suggest the 2.1 folding. if you can buy rims with a shorter wall and a rim lock as it allows the tyre to be more springy.
  • I have that frame and I wouldn't go above a 2.1 tbh. I'll slip a 2.35 in their later and take a pic if you want.
  • Sloper
    Airienteer wrote:
    I have that frame and I wouldn't go above a 2.1 tbh. I'll slip a 2.35 in their later and take a pic if you want.

Thanks for that!

I like your Kona. Which Maxxis rear tyre is that?
  • A Maxxis Larsen. Has a very low rolling resistance but not loads grip. Perfect for what I wanted but I wouldn't recommend it as an allround tyre!
  • Sloper
    edited January 2010
    diy wrote:
    What rims are you buying?

the Stick-E tyres are soft anyway, I'd suggest the 2.1 folding. if you can buy rims with a shorter wall and a rim lock as it allows the tyre to be more springy.

Rims are Mavic xm317.

The folding rather than wire beaded ones? WHy is that?
  • Sloper
    Airienteer wrote:
    A Maxxis Larsen. Has a very low rolling resistance but not loads grip. Perfect for what I wanted but I wouldn't recommend it as an allround tyre!

Yeh, I just looked it up. They're knobbier than it looks in your pic :D
  • diy
    Tyre width for those rims is 1.5 - 2.3, so the choice is simple. = 2.1 as the 2.35 are too wide

Stick-E is Kenda's brand name for their soft sticky compound and I think the SB8 are DTC...

http://www.kendausa.com/bicycle/technology.html
  • Sloper
    Aha, thanks. 2.1 it is then. I still fancy the Kenda Small Blocks. ANy idea if they're good on the road?
  • http://img138.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=sdc10211j.jpg

There's a link to a couple of pics there. I used a 2.35 High Roller. It was a bit of a squeeze getting it in tbh.
  • Sloper
    Wow, thanks for your trouble Airienteer :D

Yep, it seems 2.35s are out of the question.. Am I glad I asked on here before buying some!
  • diy
    Sloper wrote:
    Aha, thanks. 2.1 it is then. I still fancy the Kenda Small Blocks. ANy idea if they're good on the road?

No of course not they are MTB tyres.. ;)

Actually they are a very good all round tyre, I run them 50% of the year and only switch to slicks for road riding (e.g. the brighton-london-brighton ride). I run blue grooves for mud/winter and thats it. Some times I mix and match id its really muddy I will leave the grooves on the front and the sb8 on the back
  • Sloper
    Which tyres to buy has been a difficult decision to make. I'd say 75% of my riding is on the road at the mo, but I still want at least a little off-road ability for trail riding and as I intend to get off-road a lot more this year. The Kenda SB8 looks as good as anything else. I'll get the 2.1s and some padded shorts.

Cheers! :D
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    Small Block 8s are super quick on the road for a MTB tyre. They are a great all round trail tyre too. The only thing they struggle with is soft mud.

Stu