Shimano/Campag... Have i just shot myself in the foot?!?!?!?

what brakes
what brakes Posts: 328
edited January 2010 in Workshop
Where do i start?

my current bike has shimano 105 groupo, but i thought i would take advantage of some of the deals going at the mo so bought a lovely pair of fulcrum Racing 1 wheels and d/a 7900 chainset which will be fitted once the weather gets better and at a laterr date i will get the sti's to match.

All well and good i hear you say! but then yesterday i read an article saying that you can only use the d/a 7900 brakes with the 7900 sti's! this is where i started panicing that i had made a grave error as i do not want d/a brake but some bling cnc ones! Also you have to use the 7900 fd with the sti's too!

What do i do? if i get the 7900 sti's i will have to get the brakes and the fd together which means a huge chunk of money! instead of just replaceing as and when i have the spare cash!

Or can i go for campag 10sp sti's to use on my shimano gears? im guessing the standard front and rear/d's should be fine and the campag sti's will also work fine with any aftermarket brakes.

Are the shimano and campag sprocket spaced the same? which will enable me to use campag sti's fine and upgrade the other bits as and when?

Any other suggetions? as to how i can get away without paying out huge chunks of cash straight away and allow me to upgrade as and when?

Help me please........

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    7900 STIs + 7900 front derailler + Shimano 10spd cassette +7900 brakes

7900 chainsets will work with any gear system.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Trouble is i havent got the money to buy all the 7900 in one go! hence my prob! lol that will teach me for not reading the 7900 reviews! i stupidly assumed it would be all compatible with their older stuff! how wrong was i! ! ! lol

Do i just buy campag sti's and keep the rest all shimano? at least i can say i have shimpag! :roll: plus i do like the campag shifters!

as a side note the shifters must be carbon for the bling factor!

The price we pay for bling.... :oops:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Unless you use a shiftmate, if you want to use ergopowers you'll need a campag rear mech and a campag spaced cassette.

Probably best getting a Rival groupset, using the 7900 chainset and Fulcrum wheels with that, sell the Rival chainset, you'll probably still be under the cost of just the 7900 shifters.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Shiftmate look like a good alternative!

Or change the freehub for campag!

I will just have to be carefull how i upgrade to save wasting time and money!

Cheers for the info redddraggon.
  • Shiftmates look ugly.
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    Why don't you just save instead of buying sti then brakes then front mech and buy it all in one go later on?
  • at least i can say i have shimpag!

[cocks shotgun]
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Brian at Washing Machine Post rode a bike in Portland last year that had a Chorus groupset and Shimano cassette and he said it worked perfectly (10 speed). It had been set up by the Chis King Factory so it can be done
    M.Rushton
  • soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    Where do i start?

my current bike has shimano 105 groupo, but i thought i would take advantage of some of the deals going at the mo so bought a lovely pair of fulcrum Racing 1 wheels and d/a 7900 chainset which will be fitted once the weather gets better and at a laterr date i will get the sti's to match.

All well and good i hear you say! but then yesterday i read an article saying that you can only use the d/a 7900 brakes with the 7900 sti's! this is where i started panicing that i had made a grave error as i do not want d/a brake but some bling cnc ones! Also you have to use the 7900 fd with the sti's too!

What do i do? if i get the 7900 sti's i will have to get the brakes and the fd together which means a huge chunk of money! instead of just replaceing as and when i have the spare cash!

Or can i go for campag 10sp sti's to use on my shimano gears? im guessing the standard front and rear/d's should be fine and the campag sti's will also work fine with any aftermarket brakes.

Are the shimano and campag sprocket spaced the same? which will enable me to use campag sti's fine and upgrade the other bits as and when?

Any other suggetions? as to how i can get away without paying out huge chunks of cash straight away and allow me to upgrade as and when?

Help me please........

Why do you want to change the shifters anyway? are the old ones faulty?
  • Nope nothing is faulty but i the idea is i upgrade my bike over the summer and my bits go on the mrs bike as she has a very basic setup! (she only use hers for now and again) Also this means i can use her bike in the winter to save mine getting dirty!

The other reason for doing it gradually is that the mrs doesnt mind £100 here and £100 there but she would never swallow £1k in one go! :roll: You now what i mean guys! ! !
  • tenor
    tenor Posts: 278
    "Shiftmates look ugly"
    Not nearly as ugly as 105 Sti's - and you will save over 100 grams by changing to a Campag (even Veloce) and Shifmate combination.
  • Meds1962
    Meds1962 Posts: 391
    Does the frame merit this upgrade? From 105 to DA is quite a jump.
    O na bawn i fel LA
  • It certainly is. :wink: