Building a campag cassette

dave milne
dave milne Posts: 703
edited October 2012 in Workshop
Thinking about this year's marmotte and how grinding up alpe d'huez on a 34/25 when i'd completely blown is something I don't ever want to repeat I want to know if it's possible to build your own cassette out of 2 donor cassettes.

Basically I don't want to lose the 12 sprocket as it's useful for descending but I need bigger than a 25 for climbing and campag don't do 10 speed cassettes that meet my needs, seeing as new campag stuff all the sprockets are separated anyway can I not just buy a 12-25 and a 13-29 and fit them together as I choose. Will this work?

cheers

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I've done similar a few times in the past.
  • What cassette body do you have? If you run a Campag cassette, it won't fit a shimano one. However, you could borrow a wheel and run a shimano 12/27 cassette. Be no more difficult or expensive than buying two cassettes and mating them.

Anyway, the new Campag cassettes are 11 speed, so when you build it, the spacing will be wrong so your gears won't work, and the cassette will move on the freehub as it'll be too small.
    If you have one (and maybe a second casette) that you can take apart completely (cogs sperated from spacers), then by using the cogs with 10speed spacers, you may be able to do it.
    Personally I'd go with borrowing a wheel...
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • it's a campag body and you can still buy 10speed the spacing shouldn't be an issue, as long as I can take 2 new centaur 10speed cassettes apart and build a new one I'm happy

cheers
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    What cassette body do you have? If you run a Campag cassette, it won't fit a shimano one. However, you could borrow a wheel and run a shimano 12/27 cassette. Be no more difficult or expensive than buying two cassettes and mating them.

Anyway, the new Campag cassettes are 11 speed, so when you build it, the spacing will be wrong so your gears won't work, and the cassette will move on the freehub as it'll be too small.
    If you have one (and maybe a second casette) that you can take apart completely (cogs sperated from spacers), then by using the cogs with 10speed spacers, you may be able to do it.
    Personally I'd go with borrowing a wheel...

Errr.....

Did you actually read what he wrote?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Campag ten speed casettes are still manufactured and readily available, even nine speeds are easy to source and use the same sprockets.
  • Errr.....

Yes, why?
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Errr.....

Yes, why?

You mustn't have understood it then.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Yes - I confirm. It works fine.

I did exactly the same mixing 2 Chorus / Centaur cassettes of 12-25 and 13-29 to get a 12-29 hybrid. Works fine and provides a good set of insurance ratios.

Some forums say the 12-29 cannot work with a short rear cage and that a medium is needed. My Chorus has a short mech and it works fine. I see similar reports from other contented users that a medium cage is not really required.

Regards,
    Paul
  • I guess this is a step too far but does anyone know if you could combine an 11-25 with a 13-29?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I mixed and matched a 12-23 and a 13-26 on 9-speed to give me a 12-26, perfect the etape a couple of years ago. Only problem was the 13-23 didn't quite work as I ended up with duplicate sprocket in the middle.

You should check the ratios before you buy the cassettes to make sure you'll be able to construct something that works for you. Shifting is initially a bit rough when moving from one cassette to the other but in time honoured Campag fashion it wears in before too long.
  • I recently bought a BBB 12-27 10 speed Campag compatible cassette.

It was rubbish.

But the sprockets were separate so I took the 27T and I have converted an 11-25 to an 11-27.
  • Why do you want an 11-29 or 12-29? Do you really need the 11 or 12 on the Marmotte? Only if you're going to be pushing on the descents, which means you must be super-strong. I only ask because I'll be riding a 13-29 and hoping for survival at best ...
  • I'm certainly not super strong but having a 12 or even better an 11 does mean you can go faster downhill otherwise your effectively free wheeling as soon as you get above about 32-33 mph

it also annoys the hell out of me why campag don't just do a 12-27 cassette like shimano
  • They do, but only for 11 speeds unfortunately (very nice stepping though)

Like I said BBB do make one but I couldn't even get it fitted.
  • tenor
    tenor Posts: 278
    I have gone the same route 12/25 and 13/29 to make 12/29 and 12/26 options in addition to the basic ratios. Can then swop ratios according to the ride.
    Actually very happy with the 13/29 as the general cruising gears are more accessible with a decent chainline than with the 12/25. If you spin out on 13/50 just tuck into an aero freewheel and enjoy the view!
  • mmacavity
    mmacavity Posts: 781
    Are Miche Primato cassettes any good?
    http://www.chickencycles.co.uk/index.php?cat=41&ord=2

MCX20PRIMATO 12/25 10X CA
    MCX21PRIMATO 12/27 10X CA
    MCX22PRIMATO 12/29 10X CA
    MCX23PRIMATO 12/23 10X CA
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Build what cassette you want with the Marchisio system

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/b ... hisio.html
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • I went with the marchisio sprockets for last years marmotte. I took off the 16 and the top two sprockets (23-25) which are bolted together from my chorus cassette, and added a flat 23, 25 and dished 28

Worked fine with a short cage mech (though I stuck an extra link in the chain i think), and the 28 was useful on the alpe

jon
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    I recently bought a BBB 12-27 10 speed Campag compatible cassette.

It was rubbish.

But the sprockets were separate so I took the 27T and I have converted an 11-25 to an 11-27.

Why was it rubbish? Spacing should be correct, and it sounds a little heavier than a straight campag.
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Errr.....

Yes, why?

You did sound a bit muddled to be fair. For a start, assuming that he'd be buying an 11 speed cassette was a bit curious - as said, they still make the cassettes in 10 speed as you'd expect as they still make groupsets in 10 speed!

As for the Frankenblock - one thing to bear in mind is that you might need a medium cage rear mech to cope with 12-29 on a Compact. I've not had any problems with the 13-29 (though the spec prior to about 2011 said that the short cage was not compatible with the 13-29) but stretching it the other way as well might be distinctly marginal.

EDIT - missed Paul Roths post earlier which covers the same.... I'm not actually surprised - to me it looked like I had space to go to 13-30 when I set the 13-29 up.

Also, I'm sure I have heard reference on here to there being different versions of the same cogs depending on where the ramps are - so it might be worth looking very carefully at which cassette you use to make the 12-29 from. Presumably a 13 from a 12-25 isn't necessarily the same as the 13 from an 11-25. Of course, I might be completely wrong!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    Interesting that Campy announced back in May they were making a 12-27 10 speed cassette. Still no sign of it in the shops!

I'm wondering whether to go for a Miche or BBB 12-27 in the meantime.
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    dave milne wrote:
    it also annoys the hell out of me why campag don't just do a 12-27 cassette like shimano

and THAT is yet another reason to not go Campag :shock:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    smidsy wrote:
    dave milne wrote:

and THAT is yet another reason to not go Campag :shock:

The only reason and it's not a good enough reason! :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The miche cassette are fine. The shifting is not a slick as with a Veloce cassette but it is acceptable.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.