Best value for money rollers

madandybell
madandybell Posts: 148
edited January 2010 in Road beginners
Hi,

Been looking around the site now at all the different threads about turbos and rollers.

Pretty sure I've settled on rollers as I've been warned off using a carbon frame on a turbo (can anyone varify this?)

Main question is, which rollers do I buy? Don't really want to spend more that £150 if I can help it so any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Andy.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Turbos + Carbon Frame = Fine
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • And you would reccomed a turbo over a set of rollers?
  • redddraggon
    And you would reccomed a turbo over a set of rollers?

I've only got a Turbo, and I don't like it.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Cool, thanks for the replies!
  • amnesia
    amnesia Posts: 118
    THESE are supposed to be quite good.

The thing to bear in mind is that cheap rollers don't have any resistance settings... some of the ones I have seen have a two or three settings to increase resistance of the rollers, but they're double the price of the TACX one above.

Have a look on youtube for cycling rollers crashes - it's apparently not as easy as it seems...

:D
    2013 Focus Izalco Pro 2.0 UDi2
    1999 Sunn Vertik II MTB - old skool !
  • Looks good, thanks for the post.

Hows the Ltd Ed going? Mines in the shop, just waiting for my C2W voucher to hit the doormat!
  • amnesia wrote:
    THESE are supposed to be quite good.
    I have these and they're great. Not had them long but would definitly recommend them. You can also buy resistance units for them I believe, but I find I get sufficeint resistance using the gears anway :)
  • redddraggon
    How loud are the Antares? I'm tempted to get some
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • amnesia
    amnesia Posts: 118
    Looks good, thanks for the post.

Hows the Ltd Ed going? Mines in the shop, just waiting for my C2W voucher to hit the doormat!

LOL only picked it up on Saturday and it's too damn icy to venture out on a new carbon bike with SPDs :o

Very tempted to sell my turbo and get some rollers though... they look like fun :D
    2013 Focus Izalco Pro 2.0 UDi2
    1999 Sunn Vertik II MTB - old skool !
  • How loud are the Antares? I'm tempted to get some
    I've never used another set of rollers or turbo so can't really compare them to anything else. However I was able to watch a film on my laptop and could hear it quite nicely despite the rather pathetic max volume of it. It that helps...
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    These are great, impossible to have an off from, but are quiet expensive. I've got a set and love them.
  • Gone for the Tacx!! Will update and let you know how the first session went once they have arrived!
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513

the rollers themselves are pretty quiet - mine are on a concrete floor and most of the noise I get is from the tyres. However, I guess it might be different if I was on a wooden floor with people downstairs....
  • redddraggon
    softlad wrote:

the rollers themselves are pretty quiet - mine are on a concrete floor and most of the noise I get is from the tyres. However, I guess it might be different if I was on a wooden floor with people downstairs....

I'm in a top floor flat, although the floor is concrete. My turbo is not useable due to loud vibrations generated.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • softlad
    well, there is little or no noticeable vibration from the rollers - I guess the tyre noise might be the equivalent of someone hoovering upstairs, but I can't see it being any worse than that...

Get some rollers - if anyone complains, just tell them you're hoovering.. ;)
  • A newbie joining in! On rollers, do you need to change tyres from standard road tyres? I like the idea of rollers (what with the weather!) but not the hastle of changing tyres and/or wheels...
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    You don't have to change tyres on a turbo or for rollers.
    More problems but still living....
  • Thanks Amaferanga, I thought that the rollers (and turbos) generated quite a lot more heat than conventional road work and this could strip rubber? :?:

• The thing to bear in mind is that cheap rollers don't have any resistance settings.

you don't need resistance settings. Quite possible to max out your HR on rollers. You just learn to pedal quickly. Which is no bad thing.

Have a look on youtube for cycling rollers crashes - it's apparently not as easy as it seems...

it's very, very easy. You just know about it when you do something daft ;)
  • softlad
    A newbie joining in! On rollers, do you need to change tyres from standard road tyres? I like the idea of rollers (what with the weather!) but not the hastle of changing tyres and/or wheels...

I've always ridden rollers, and have always just plonked my regular road bike on them, with whatever tyres it has on it at the time... ;)
  • Thanks softlad, Guess I'm being over cautious. Just noticed that Wiggle has a discount on today (£20 off if you spend £100). One set of rollers soon to be on the way... :D
  • redddraggon
    I just bought some rollers too
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Very happy with my Tacx Antares, took 3 or 4 sessions to get the hang of them, but worth it, you have to concentrate or you're off :shock:
  • Just waiting for mine to turn up now, might try make a bit of extra cash on You've Been Framed!
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    A newbie joining in! On rollers, do you need to change tyres from standard road tyres? I like the idea of rollers (what with the weather!) but not the hastle of changing tyres and/or wheels...

You don't have to change tyres for rollers but a turbo will wear a standard tyre out pretty quickly which is why they market turbo tyres.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    can you incline them? If not, why not.... How do you hill train,

running machines can go uphill.

or is that a daft idea?!
  • Scrumple
    Hmmmmmm

I knew I'd regret posting that.... presumably the bike would just roll off them!!

More worryingly, how do owners of GARMIN GPS cycle computers keep a track of distance etc?? I have a 205 and it has dawned on me that if I buy rollers I will have no performance data as I will never move.
    I'm not fitting a cycle computet just for rollers.... I like not having bits on my bike.
  • redddraggon
    Distance means bugger all on rollers or a trainer.

Work on time + HR (or Power)
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Scrumple
    Guess I should have gone for the 305! mind you it was double the price at £100 when I got my 205.