Cube reaction Rx

tubaonwheels
tubaonwheels Posts: 448
edited January 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I'm on the hunt for a good lightweight hardtail. Have a budget of around £1000. Best value I've seen after a lot of research seems to be the Boardman pro. Been to local Halfords to have a look and sit on one and really like it.
Determined not to rush into it though and have been offered a good deal on a cube reaction RX at around the same price (1050). Can anyone advise how the spec compares (I'm very much a novice technically) and how it rides, if there's any owners out there.
Cheers, Steve.

Comments

• We sell the Reaction. Fantastic value for money and out best selling >£1000 hardtail last year.
    Having ridden both bikes i can assure you the Cube has the better frame.

Enjoy.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Hey tuba,

as much as I love my Boardman, I've got to say that's a great deal on the Cube. Some people will like the 'brand value' of the Fox over the Boardmans Rockshox's. A lot will agree that there's no real difference in performance, and the Rockshox are better from a maintenance point of view though.

The drivetrain is pretty much one step up on Boardman. So all the bits that are SLX on the Cube are the equivalent of XT (SRAM X9) on the Boardman, and the XT bits on the Cube are XTR level (SRAM X0) on the Boardman. Realistically, the only difference is weight though.

The Formula brakes are very well regarded, but so are the Elixers on the Boardman, a big step (apparently) up from the Juicys on my 08 model.

I'm curious about the weight of the wheels on the Cube, can't find any info, but the wheels on the BM Pro are around 1700g, which is very light for a 'stock' wheelset at this price.

The Cube seems a bit lighter overall, but it has got very 'racey' tyres fitted, whereas the BMs weight includes the cheapo wire bead tyres and normal inner tubes instead of the thin ones on the Cube, so putting the same tyres on both bikes would close the gap. I'd budget for a new set of tyres for winter riding regardless of which one you choose.

Very close choice though, the good deal on the Cube makes the normal obvious Boardman value a bit harder to judge.

Go and try them out I guess!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Cheers Bails, how ya doing? I was thinking of PM'ing you about your BM as I know you love it. Wish I had the opportunity to use the cycle to work scheme.
    I may be able to get a demo on the Cube but Halfords don't seem to keen on letting you try them. As you know I'm very technically 'unaware', are you saying the BM may be better(easier) to maintain?
    The plus point about the Cube is the shop is run by a member of the club I now ride for, so would trust them for good service etc. Regarding the winter tyres, I could always just swap over the ones I have on my old Scott, but would probably invest in some decent ones as its going to be horribly muddy when all this snow melts!
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    I'd get the CUBE, but not in black... The annodising is rubbish IMO.
  • bails87
    Well if you know anyone who works for the NHS they can buy Halfords vouchers at 10% off. My gf rang up for me, ordered the vouchers, and then Halfords Business Services got in touch with me so that I could pay on my card, rather than faffing about transferring funds to her so she could pay.

As for maintenance, all I know is that Rockshox are easy to look after. I think Fox are more difficult, and there may be some stipulation regarding having an 'official' service fairly often, otherwise you lose your warranty. but someone else will have to confirm that.

Theres a review of the Boardman here and here.

Haven't seen any Cube reviews, so you'll have to hope for some owners to turn up.
    MTB/CX

• LoUiS1985
    LoUiS1985 Posts: 841
    weeksy59 wrote:

rubbish how......?? explain.... as i've got one and there's f*ck all wrong with it...!!
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    LoUiS1985 wrote:
    weeksy59 wrote:

rubbish how......?? explain.... as i've got one and there's f*ck all wrong with it...!!

mine rubbed off verry very easily.

Happily it was stolen 2 weeks later so i didn't care about the paint.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    There's not alot between them to be honest. I have a reaction albeit a 08 one and the guy I ride with has a Boardman Pro.

Weight wise they are close the Cube feels slightly lighter even with the stock wheelset.

Personally, I would go and try both and see which feels the best as there is so little between them.

One more thing, I assume the Cube still comes with flat bars? If so change them for risers it made a huge difference on the handling for me.
  • Eranu

Conversly mine is still intact two years later :)
  • bails87
    Eranu wrote:

Conversly mine is still intact two years later :)

You obviously don't dry-hump your bike as vigorously! :lol:
    MTB/CX

• Eranu
    You obviously don't dry-hump your bike as vigorously!

Lube 4tw...Super recommends KY for anodised action apparently ;)
  • LoUiS1985
    The drivetrain is pretty much one step up on Boardman. So all the bits that are SLX on the Cube are the equivalent of XT (SRAM X9) on the Boardman, and the XT bits on the Cube are XTR level (SRAM X0) on the Boardman. Realistically, the only difference is weight though.

+1
    The Formula brakes are very well regarded, but so are the Elixers on the Boardman, a big step (apparently) up from the Juicys on my 08 model.

I'd tend to disagree....I've ridden with both and they're very comparable in terms of feel and performance IMO
    I'm curious about the weight of the wheels on the Cube, can't find any info, but the wheels on the BM Pro are around 1700g, which is very light for a 'stock' wheelset at this price.

The Sum Ringle wheels are not the lightest, when i weighed mine i think they came in at round 1950g, however they seem stiff enough for the XC riding i do!
    The Cube seems a bit lighter overall, but it has got very 'racey' tyres fitted, whereas the BMs weight includes the cheapo wire bead tyres and normal inner tubes instead of the thin ones on the Cube, so putting the same tyres on both bikes would close the gap. I'd budget for a new set of tyres for winter riding regardless of which one you choose.

+1.....the tyres on both bikes are designed mainly for speed and things get a little uneasy in sticky, sloppy conditions. However i prefer the Schwalbes as they're pretty decent '3 season' tyres overall
  • Thanks for all the replies, at the moment I'm leaning towards the Cube, simply for the more trustworthy back up service etc. But will not make a decision till I've tried one (can't get to shop at present due to weather).
  • I got my cube reaction rx 2010 back in November.

I have been mountain biking for a few years now and have previously had rock hopper and a stumpjumper fsr full susser, but prefer the hardtails. all i can say is that i have no regrets in buying the cube.. it knocks spots of my rockhopper. I did take a bit of a punt by not being able to demo it but it suits me down to the ground.

brakes are awsome, fox forks are great once you have them dialed in, and it is really really quick (compaired to my rockhopper) climbing is sweet...

I went for the red/white colour, so a bit bling tastic and highly knickable, but I like it.. couldn't comment on the black anodised finish, other than would make it less conspicuous.

I hope you like what ever you get, but my choice would be the cube.. in a none biasd way obviusly!
    Rockhopper '05
    Cube Reaction RX '10 (when ever they get around to building it)
  • I got my cube reaction rx 2010 back in November.

I have been mountain biking for a few years now and have previously had rock hopper and a stumpjumper fsr full susser, but prefer the hardtails. all i can say is that i have no regrets in buying the cube.. it knocks spots of my rockhopper. I did take a bit of a punt by not being able to demo it but it suits me down to the ground.

brakes are awsome, fox forks are great once you have them dialed in, and it is really really quick (compaired to my rockhopper) climbing is sweet...

I went for the red/white colour, so a bit bling tastic and highly knickable, but I like it.. couldn't comment on the black anodised finish, other than would make it less conspicuous.

I hope you like what ever you get, but my choice would be the cube.. in a none biasd way obviusly!
    :D I'm also a sucker for the bling, so would go for the red/white, I love climbing so whichever I choose will be a lot easier than the heavy Scott I have at present.
  • bails87
    If the Cube was full price, so £350 more than the Boardman, then I'd definitely say the Boardman, but the £50 extra for the Cube could be justified purely by the tyres!

You won't go wrong with either, but, as much as I love my Boardman, I would probably go for the Cube at that price. Assuming it doesn't feel too 'XC racer-ish' of course.

If you've got a decent LBS versus a rubbish Halfords then thats another nudge towards the Cube, I'm lucky to have a decent Halfords down the road though.
    MTB/CX

• I am going to try another Halfords tomorrow and see if they seem any better, but I do trust the LBS especially the guy that will be building and servicing the bike.
  • LoUiS1985
    You won't go wrong with either, but, as much as I love my Boardman, I would probably go for the Cube at that price. Assuming it doesn't feel too 'XC racer-ish' of course.

the position is quite a racy XC one TBH, suits most ppl okay but due to my lower back problems i bought some riser bars and a higher rise stem, moved the seat forward and the position is now spot on for me...!!
  • loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    For the money the cube can not be beaten and especially as you have a good relationship with your lbs even better (perfect match).
    So Far!
  • muddylegs
    muddylegs Posts: 485
    Here is my Cube Reaction R1 Mag. http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv10 ... mview=grid[/url]
    I love it I raced loads of miles on it last season trained on it and went on family rides all with no trouble what so ever.
    As some has said already the position is not to everybodys taste it is very racey. I am 5'9 weigh 88kg so I am no stick insect it goes up hill like nothing i have ridden never weighed mine but the interweb says 10kg.
    I promise you will not regret the purchase.
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    Go for the Cube. You wont regret it. Nothing wrong with the black anodising either
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • Going to try the cube tomorrow :)
    It's the black one they have, if it feels right I'll be in a quandry. The sensible option would be the more subdued black - but that red and white looks so good :?
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    Going to try the cube tomorrow :)
    but that red and white looks so good :?

You know you want the red/black :lol:
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Been and tried the cube today - felt great! The black anodised version they had in stock looked really good - but I just could not resist the lure of the bright lights (well paints) so have ordered a red/white one, which should be here in a week or so. In no great rush while the snow is still around.
    If anyone else is in the market for a bike I reccomend at least a look at http://www.lexs.co.uk as they are offering 18% discount on all bikes at the moment.

Thanks to all for advice etc.
    Steve.
  • bdog101
    bdog101 Posts: 12
    Steve is that a brand new reaction you've been offered at that price?
  • Yes, a 2010 brand new. I got a bit extra discount for being in same club as the guy from the shop. But with the 18% discount you'd get it for £1106, which is still a bargain.