Blackberry GPS apps

stretch64
stretch64 Posts: 21
edited January 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

I've got a Blackberry curve, and rather than invest in an expensive Garmin device, I'd like an app for it that uses its GPS features.

I'd like to record routes, elevation, etc

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Jon

Comments

• morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    That's a coincidence as I've just put a post in Technical asking for an app that alows me to creat a route and download it to the Blackberry.

What you want to record your route on the Blackberry and then look at it on a PC is GPSed. I was playing around with it last night and seems to work easily.

http://gpsed.com/

You need to download the software and transfer to the Blackberry. Also you will need to create an account and login on the PC and Blackberry. You can set the tracking to start, do your ride and then stop the tracking. It gives you an option to upload to the GPSed website. Then you can look at your route on your PC after logging into GPSed. Fairly simple.
  • beetle1
    beetle1 Posts: 189
    Hi there, do you need to pay for it or is it free?
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I've used a Blackberry curve and an HTC Magic to record routes and have been disappointed at how poor the GPS reception is compared to a Garmin (Edge, Legend HCx and Forerunner 310xt) on the same route. Both the curve and the HTC really struggled with trees and buildings where my Garmins were fine. I'd invest in a cheap Garmin (a Legend HCx if you want maps or an Edge 205 if you don't need maps) instead of trying to use the phone.
    More problems but still living....
  • amaferanga wrote:
    I've used a Blackberry curve and an HTC Magic to record routes and have been disappointed at how poor the GPS reception is compared to a Garmin (Edge, Legend HCx and Forerunner 310xt) on the same route. Both the curve and the HTC really struggled with trees and buildings where my Garmins were fine. I'd invest in a cheap Garmin (a Legend HCx if you want maps or an Edge 205 if you don't need maps) instead of trying to use the phone.

+1
    My Blackberry is awful at recording routes, but the Garmin is perfect!!
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    The GPSed software is free
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    i used to have a 305, and now a 705. Have used some of the free gps tools like gpsed and buddygps.

As people ahve said, the quality isnt there as much, but if you want to use it as a scrap book to see where you went, or just a resonable accurate (not 100% mind you), detial of mileage it is okay

Have to admit I still use the online gps apps, as it gives the lady a way to see where I am, and that i'm still moving, when I have said I would be back in 2 hrs and havn't turned up after 3, they do tend to get worried ;)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/