What is carbon paste?

ravey1981
ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
edited January 2010 in Workshop
I have a new carbon frame and a carbon seatpin, do I need to use carbon paste? What is it and what does it do?

Should it be used anywhere else on the bike? eg clamping carbon steerer, bars etc

Cheers

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Carbon assembly paste or compound is a gel that contains plastic / glass beads that provide additional friction when assembling parts, particularly to stop them moving e.g. seatposts, stems and bars and lessens the need for higher clamping forces which can damage parts
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've used hairspray on my CF seatpost for the last 5 years or so - it was slipping down in my CF frame before someone advised me to use it. Works well - all I need to do is respray it every time I dismantle the bike.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    ravey1981 wrote:
    I have a new carbon frame and a carbon seatpin, do I need to use carbon paste? What is it and what does it do?

Should it be used anywhere else on the bike? eg clamping carbon steerer, bars etc

Cheers

I think it's slang for 'man fat' :shock: There's a lot of it near my best bike :wink:

Cougie, do you use 'Falcon for men' or is it 'Harmony'? :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I brush my teeth with it.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If the parts aren't slipping when torqued up properly then don't bother. My carbon post was slipping in an alloy frame; use of the paste stopped it without risking over tightening anything