Which Specialized?

P1LTS
P1LTS Posts: 82
edited January 2010 in MTB buying advice
Simple question:-

FSR XC PRO or Stumpjumper FSR Comp?

I know the stumpy is approx £200 dearer but is it worth it?

Thanks
2010 Spesh Stumpy Expert
2011 Boardman Team

Comments

• go for the stumpy fsr comp.simple as.i have just bought one in dec,and i think it's a fantastic bike. it climbs,descends,rides the flats fantastically (in my opinion).just a great do it all bike. :)
  • P1LTS
    Any other opinions?
    2010 Spesh Stumpy Expert
    2011 Boardman Team
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    If you have the money and don't have to sell your granny or something, then its very worth it, yes.
  • covelove
    covelove Posts: 209
    I would go with the stumpy if i were you. the float over the reba for starters will make a fair difference, saying that if you are going for looks i thing the fsr in white is much nicer. try looking for a 2009 stumpy. you might be able to get the elite model (with talas forks and some xtr kit) in white for a good price
    does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222
  • ASHLEYF
    ASHLEYF Posts: 73
    definately go for the stumpjumer the extra money gets you the M5 frame unless the xc comes with M5, but i think it is M4 so will be slightly lighter. However is the geometry different on each model??
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    covelove wrote:
    try looking for a 2009 stumpy. you might be able to get the elite model (with talas forks and some xtr kit) in white for a good price

There are 09 Stumpy Elites kicking around for £1599.99 which is just £100 more then the XC Pro and full £600 less than the 2010 Stumpy Elite.

Bit of a no brainer (imho) ?
  • KulaBen
    KulaBen Posts: 220
    Racefaceec90, you rate the stumpy then? It's one of the bikes i'm looking at but not seen many reviews. Any complaints oe is it all good?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Stumpy, no doubt about it. The FSR XCs are pretty weighty, and have a much cheaper spec.
  • KulaBen the only complaint that i have,is with my lack of fitness :) i think the bike is great (but just my opinion)
  • All 2010 Specialized bikes with 10% off here:http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/offers.php

Use that offer for price matching if you aren`t local! :wink:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • P1LTS
    Now a really difficult choice.

The budget has been unexpectedly increased and I could push the boat and go for a Stumpy Expert!!!!!!! Anybodt riden a 2010 "expert"?

Choices choices :D
    2010 Spesh Stumpy Expert
    2011 Boardman Team
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    If you could get an expert, would you be able to go for the carbon? IF you can, I'd definately go for that over the alloy.
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    Shop I went to in Oxford had both to try..and a few other direct competitors just to put your mind at rest before spending a lot of money.

I had 4 bikes lined up for the Mrs.....with the focus being on the FSR XC (price, value for money, looks and component level). In person...she went straight for the Stumpy...no messing.

I was obsessed with the Trek Fuel EX8 which was a fat 400 quid more...and I also would've gone for the 2010 Stumpy Comp @ £1619. (They are 10% almost everywhere...especially if they offer 0% interest)
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Stump comp '10 is a top light agile but sturdy bike for the money, cant fault it and Im super pleased for buying it, did look at the FSR XC pro as I prefered the white look, glad I didnt get that.

Not that the Pro isnt a good bike!
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    Duncanvile on here has just got the White FSR XC and it is definately a good lookin bike, up close.
  • i take it this is the bike you guys are talking about?

http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/products ... 1b3s1p6930
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    el_cartero wrote:
    i take it this is the bike you guys are talking about?

http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/products ... 1b3s1p6930

yeah , thats the one.
    i hear they're great for jumping off kerbs and stuff , some kids say even better than a cube ams 125.
    :wink:
  • P1LTS
    Is the carbon THAT much better than the alloy? To be honest I've never riden a carbon bike and they just sound too fragile to me.
    2010 Spesh Stumpy Expert
    2011 Boardman Team
  • P1LTS
    Decision has to be made soon. Is the carbon worth the extra money? How resiliant is the carbon frame. I've read horror stories of the carbon deteriorating where cables "chafe" etc.
    Any body with any long term experience of a carbon frame?

Thanks
    2010 Spesh Stumpy Expert
    2011 Boardman Team
  • njee20
    Carbon is tougher than alu, yes they can just snap, so can aluminium. An impact that breaks a carbon frame will also irrepairably damage an alu frame.

I've had 4 S-Works Carbon bikes, all have been spot on. I also ride with one of the warranty bods from Spesh and I'm not aware of any failures on the carbon bikes, not saying there haven't been any, but it's not an 'issue'.
  • P1LTS
    edited January 2010
    Final choice has now been narrowed to Stumpjumper FSR Expert or the Expert Carbon. £500.00 between them. Carbon is obviously the trendy choice and looks the "the dogs conkers" but is it worth the extra cash.

I'm tempted to stick with the alu frame as the carbon is an unknown quantity to me. Help me decide!
    :?
    2010 Spesh Stumpy Expert
    2011 Boardman Team
  • why not get the aluminium expert,then you could use the £500 for clothing e.t.c.or take it for a nice holiday in scotland/wales e.t.c. just a thought.
  • P1LTS
    Race face:- How you finding the 2010 Stumpy?
    2010 Spesh Stumpy Expert
    2011 Boardman Team
  • KulaBen
    KulaBen Posts: 220
    P1LTS

They test the Stumpy elite and expert in this months What Mountain Bike, and they seem to really like them both. The review suggests the alloy isn't much heavier than the carbon, and for a real difference you need to go for the top of the line carbon version which is £5500. Might be worth cheaking out the reviews. I reckon Raceface may be right- save the cash and take it on tour!

I'm increasingly thinking a Stumpy comp will be my next purchase.

Ben
  • unfortunately i haven't ridden it much this year yet (due to getting a cold) but i really love it (it's definitely the best bike that i have owned. my fitness is the rubbish part of the equation.) but once the snow melts (very icy) i will be riding it like there is no tomorrow.when i have ridden offroad (the ridgeway,near avebury) i had taken it out on it's first ride on 7th dec.it was quite wet/windy.i thought that the bike was great.it handles,climbs,descends waaaay better than me.i have found that the rear tyre slides a bit in the mud when i was climbing (it's a 2.0 captain control tyre.the front is a2.2 s-works purgetory tyre)to be honest though it was controllable though.to sum up,i am definitely glad to have bought it. :D
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    KulaBen wrote:

I'm increasingly thinking a Stumpy comp will be my next purchase.

Ben

Do it, you will not be disappointed I can guarantee it. (No money/items is involved in this guarantee though)
  • P1LTS
    Evans are now showing the Stumpy FSR Expert as discontinued. :-(

Probably be able to source one elsewhere but just not as convenient.
    2010 Spesh Stumpy Expert
    2011 Boardman Team
  • P1LTS
    Called in at an Evans shop today and the staff had no idea why the Stumpy FSR Expert in XL is now discontinued. Only 2 days ago they were quoting the ened of Feb for delvery. Scuppered my plans at the moment until I can get in contact with an laternative supplier

Anybody got any ideas what's going on?
    2010 Spesh Stumpy Expert
    2011 Boardman Team
  • njee20
    It won't be discontinued per se, more likely they're just not getting any more stock, it happens, but is surprising on something like that.

Unless it was a mistake on the system or Evans were lying you're gonna have to find a shop with one in stock though, no other way to get hold of one if Spesh UK aren't getting more stock.
  • P1LTS
    Something strange going on at Evans. Lots of 2010 Spesh bikes in various sizes across different ranges are now shown as "discontinued".

Curiosity is getting the better of me and I'd like to know what is really going on :?
    2010 Spesh Stumpy Expert
    2011 Boardman Team