I am so unfit :(

mkirby
mkirby Posts: 365
edited January 2010 in Road beginners
Just done the 1st ride of the year. Did a 30 min TT on the turbo and it was not pretty.

10 min warm up, 30 min flat out, 10 min warm down and in the 30 min section i managed to cover (no laughing please) 8.29 miles @ 16.6 mph

God i hope the ice vanishes so i can at least get out, im getting cabin fever and its not good on my waist line.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    mkirby wrote:
    Just done the 1st ride of the year. Did a 30 min TT on the turbo and it was not pretty.

10 min warm up, 30 min flat out, 10 min warm down and in the 30 min section i managed to cover (no laughing please) 8.29 miles @ 16.6 mph

God i hope the ice vanishes so i can at least get out, im getting cabin fever and its not good on my waist line.

Two things -

1 - Trainer mileage and speed is meaningless.

2 - You are training.

Get yourself the sufferfest video and let the fun begin!!
  • mkirby
    Unfortunately i am banished to the kitchen or the conservatory so no access to dvd or computers. secondly i don't want to die :)
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    QuadPowerTM
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Garz wrote:
    QuadPowerTM

Word. Word...
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    This is the biggest lay off I have ever had because of weather - got out 1 weekend - in the last 4.

At least another week of Ice predicted .......................or am I being to cautious ?

Icepower = not good
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    I got up expecting to do a solid 60 miles today, went out to the car, took one look and went back in. The roads are bad around here. So, I kitted up, took the MTB out and road my local trail twice. Pulling 32lbs of full suspension about is getting me through the winter, but would rather be out on the road for sure.
  • verloren
    verloren Posts: 337
    If it makes you feel any better I just had one go of Wii bowling and had to sit down for a rest. In my defense I do have full-on man flu...

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • Had my bike since the end of August and by the end of November was getting to quite a good level of fitness, well it appeared to be the case anyway.

Since then I have slipped a disc at work and been off whilst it recovered, managed to get out for a few easier rides to get back into it and since the weather has been rubbish.

Managed two 20 mile rides this last week but feel quite a bit behind the level of fitness of 6 weeks ago.

Hoping to go out this weekend but doesn't look like it due to the weather, looking at doing the cheshire cat ride at the end of March but feel a long way short of the fitness level I may require, just hope I can get some good riding in soon.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    NapoleonD wrote:

Two things -

1 - Trainer mileage and speed is meaningless.

2 - You are training.

Get yourself the sufferfest video and let the fun begin!!

That's 3 things! :D
  • No need for TV/DVD/PC, my iPod has a strip of velcro attached to the stem for Sufferfest fun.
    That said, it's a pleasant 24'C in sunny Northland, NZ today so the turbo is gathering dust at present.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    its xmas. everyone's unfit! :wink:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    What's the problem? Depths of winter, we're all full of Christmas and can't easily pop out for a quick 20 miles after putting the kids to bed without dressing up in too many layers and fitting the Regent Street Christmas lights to the bike before we set off into the freezing dark night clouds.

In a few weeks it'll be light in the evenings, we'll be back to living [pretty] sensibly, and 20 miles will be just a warm up again.

Still - 8¼ miles in half an hour is a bit crap. Have another go, and this time make a bit more of an effort. :wink:
  • mkirby
    Still - 8¼ miles in half an hour is a bit crap. Have another go, and this time make a bit more of an effort.

Heh i know im going to work on it. Need to be nice and light for my new bike.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Don't beat yourself up over it pal. It's Christmas so a bit of form drop-off and a lb or two going on is normal.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • geoff93
    geoff93 Posts: 190
    I only managed to get my first real ride for a month in yesterday, however it was ony 20 miles, and i'd dropped about 1.5mph from my normal average values for that ride :|
    Need to get out more - hate the winter :(
    Trek Madone 3.5 (RS80s, Arione)
    Trek Madone 3.1 (Upgraded)
    Ribble TT Bike
    Trek Mamba (Garry Fisher Collection)
  • mrchrispy
    mrchrispy Posts: 310
    managed 12 miles on NYD and that was the first time out since early december.
    took me an hour!!
    15 mins warm-up, 15 mins mechanical and 30 mins going up and down the same hill, only managed it 3 times before the snow came down hard.

the old HR on the climb was way above what is usualy is.
  • Cabelly
    Cabelly Posts: 43
    I can't wait to get out again. Bought a new bike in May, everything improved, life seemed great then I went and stuffed it in the back of a van :( and broke the frame and various bits of me.
    I've only been out for four 10 milers since July on an old steel bike so I have no fitness at all.

Just switched all the undamaged bits onto a nice new carbon frame and can't wait to try it out but its a bit too slippery. Don't want to break anything else :roll:

Its just bl00dy fustrating. :x

Anyway I will get out.... and join a club this year. Roll on the warm days
  • I managed to get out for a commute to work last saturday. Big mistake as it chucked down with snow that day. It was however a interesting ride home. That was the 1st time i'd been out for weeks thanks to the snow. Thanks to the new dump we've just had in Manchester it'll be anoter 2 weeks till i can get out again I reckon.

I dont have room or spare cash for a turbo or rollers. This weather is destroying my fitness. Bearing iin mind I'm doing London 2 paris this june. I've got some severe training to do as I want to be at the 100 mile stage by march. Which isn't going to be easy with the shift work I do :(
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • I am in a similar boat. My new years resolution was to get the bike back out and in use and to sort my healthy eating plan out.

Woke up New Years day to a full english the wife had made and a few inches of snow :roll:
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Fungus ->

I'm doing the L2P in July this year, gotta get some serious miles in myself and stop larking about on my mountain bike so much
  • mkirby
    Sigh its snowing again, quite heavy tonight. Apparently last time it was this cold for this long it didnt thaw until march :shock:

Im just so tiered when i get home, boring job and boring bus ride, that i dont want to get the trainer and bike out.

Roll on the clear roads
  • This all sounds very familliar. Any one know how to make 40 miles on a turbo entertaining :(
  • daj
    daj Posts: 139
    meruz2008 wrote:
    This all sounds very familliar. Any one know how to make 40 miles on a turbo entertaining :(

Agree, I hate the things ... I cant get comfortable and get BORED as hell :roll:
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    Just get the MTB out and ride some trails. You'll get a good workout and some fresh air!
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • othello wrote:
    Just get the MTB out and ride some trails. You'll get a good workout and some fresh air!

Good in theory but no way would I venture out on a bike at the moment! -17C here in Cumbria last night and by lunchtime, had only risen to -12C. Took me 10 minutes to thaw out after nipping up the Co-op for pint of milk this morning dressed like Scott of the Antartic :lol: Been sub-zero with icy/snowy roads since 17th December. Fortunately I have two decent indoor trianing bikes but man, I'm getting bored of indoor training :(
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    meruz2008 wrote:
    This all sounds very familliar. Any one know how to make 40 miles on a turbo entertaining :(

It may not be everybody's idea of entertainment but I completed 50 miles yesterday whilst watching England's fantastic rearguard action in gaining a draw against South Africa in the recent test match!

Seriously though - try the Sufferfest Dvds, i-pod, BBC i-player for a good programme. I'm fortunate to be able to rig my bike up in front of a big projector screen & computer/TV set-up and off I go. The time flies - occasionally.