pedal confusion

gergusmcbergus
gergusmcbergus Posts: 57
edited December 2009 in Road beginners
i currently have a pair of specialized body geometry sport road shoes:
http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... ctID=15041
and my pedals are some shimano pd-r540 spd-sl pedals.
id prefer cleats where they are recessed into the shoe for making walking easier. from what i can gather, these are spd's. could i fit spd's onto my shoe and just buy the pedals, or do i need to buyshoe + pedals again?
thanks
like a rolling stone

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Taken from your quoted link.
    Description:

The SPECIALIZED BG SPORT ROAD SHOE 09 from cyclestore.co.uk

The essential performance and fit of our high-end road shoes in a more casual design thats ideal for beginning racers or road enthusiasts.
    FEATURES:
    Full BG features in the footbed and outsole: Exclusive Metatarsal Button and Longitudinal Arch Support reduce hotspots and support the foot, Varus Wedge adjustment angles foot slightly for improved ergonomics and knee/foot alignment
    Secure fitting 3-strap Velcro closure
    Glass reinforced nylon sole
    Real leather and mesh upper
    Fits 3-bolt Time, Look, Shimano SPD-SL and 2-bolt Shimano SPD-R cleat systems
    It appears the shoes will work with SPD's, though I doubt the cleat will sit into the shoe to make it comfortable for walking.
    Speak with Cyclestore... :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • yeah i read that too, but i was a little confused because i wasnt sure if spd-r would fit spd pedals
    i'm sure wiggle used to have a really good compatability chart or guide or something, but i cant find it anymore :(
    so would these: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... s-ec005319
    fit on my shoe?
    sorry if im being thick i just dont want to buy the wrong thing
    thanks for your reply
    like a rolling stone
  • soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    i currently have a pair of specialized body geometry sport road shoes:
    http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... ctID=15041
    and my pedals are some shimano pd-r540 spd-sl pedals.
    id prefer cleats where they are recessed into the shoe for making walking easier. from what i can gather, these are spd's. could i fit spd's onto my shoe and just buy the pedals, or do i need to buyshoe + pedals again?
    thanks

If you have the road shoes then no cleats will be recessed as it's the shoe not the pedal make the difference.
    (unless you can get some of the crank bros road cleats which have a U shaped plastic pontoon around a standard crank bros cleat.)
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    SPD-R are now discontinued and are sods to walk in.
    Those shoes would take these cleats for SPD pedals but they are still difficult to walk in. The SPD-SL cleats you have are far easier.
    If you really want to use SPD pedals you should get SPD shoes which means MTB style ones. There are a small number of road specific ones but not many.