Steering stem spacers, bit of questioning.

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited December 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
NEw Commencal Super 4.3

Tried today and the bars were a little low.

I have 2 spacers under the stem 3mm and 9-10mm.

1 spacer on top of stem 9-10mm.

I moved the 10mm from top to bottom and the 3mm to the top. However when i fit the stem back on it is almost flush to the top of the steering tube.

When the 3mm is on the bottom obviously there's the same ammount of spacer on the outside of the stem (6-7mm) but it has a bit more inside the stem.

So, is it a problem that i have a 3mm spacer on the top with only about 1mm of it inside the height of stem and 2mm protruding ?

I need the spacer for the top as it's sort of a housing for the top cap.

I know it's only 6-7mm higher, but would ideally like the 6-7mm if it's safe.

Comments

• biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    should'nt be any prob as i can see
    none of the spacers are "load-bearing" in use
    the top cap should centre it ok.
    only one way to find out :wink:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you will need to use all the spacers that were there before in whatever order you want. with the same stem.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • weeksy59
    nicklouse wrote:
    you will need to use all the spacers that were there before in whatever order you want. with the same stem.

Of course, have done so.

But the one on the top has only 1mm ish of steering tube above it. so the other 2-3mm of it is just sitting in space so to speak.

With the little on on the bottom the steering tube was about 5mm above the top of the stem, therefore 5mm of spacer with stem, 5mm without.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Once you're headset is tensioned and the stem clamped in place the top cap isnt actually doing anything, the bolt through the top cap will keep the top spacer in place and even if the bolt were to snap (which it wont) and the spacer fall off (which it wont) the bike would still be safe.
  • weeksy59
    OK all sounding good lads and i have my bars 6mm or so higher which should take a little of the pressure off my wrists as that was a minor concern on the ride today.

Thanks to all.
  • weeksy59
    Seemed OK lads, did an hour or so out today.

Thanks.