stem mount for CC HR200DW bike computer

oldwelshman
oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
edited January 2010 in Workshop
Hi.
I have a CC HR200DW which I use on track bike and it is ok on normal bars but will not fit on pursuit bars so am looking to fit them onto the stem of the pursuit bars but this is not possible using the provided clamp as the display will be facing left to right so will not see diaplay :D
I tried cateye and their distributors with no luck.
Any ideas other than cable ties?

Comments

• oldwelshman
    Come on some one must have tried to mount computer on the stem and not handle bars?
  • DubaiNeil
    DubaiNeil Posts: 246
    I did this with my Garmin Forerunner, which also has only a handlebar mount available.

All I did was take a small amount of stiff plastic tubing (ideally the same diameter as a set of handle bars) and zip tie this to the handlebar stem.

The length this piece of tube needs to be will depend on the width and fixing method of the handlebar mount for the computer.

Attached is a very poor elecitrical drawing of wot I dun:

HandlebarStemComputerMount.jpg

I was aided by some factors:

1) The Garmin mount uses zip ties to fix it anyway, so no "under hanging" fittings required

2) I happened to have some plastic pipe lying around at home, which had a "stiffening" spine molded in, which keeps the two zip ties holding the pipe to the handlebar stem separate.

3) The handlebar stem I have is fairly wide and flattish on top so making it easier (and more secure) for the tube section

4) I used a small piece of rubber "insert" to provide traction between the bottom of the plastic tube and the top of the handlebar stem

It took about 10 minutes to knock up and fit.

One additional approach I found through Google was to use a spare section of fork head tube and cut it half to leave a semi-circle of material - but I didn't have any to hand...

Hope this helps...

Neil
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Are you allowed computers on the track. The Manchester regs say not. I still use mine but never have time to look at it. Just for download later. It is a Polar CS400 so can not help with yours.
  • oldwelshman
    DubaiNeil wrote:
    I did this with my Garmin Forerunner, which also has only a handlebar mount available.

All I did was take a small amount of stiff plastic tubing (ideally the same diameter as a set of handle bars) and zip tie this to the handlebar stem.

The length this piece of tube needs to be will depend on the width and fixing method of the handlebar mount for the computer.

Attached is a very poor elecitrical drawing of wot I dun:

HandlebarStemComputerMount.jpg

I was aided by some factors:

1) The Garmin mount uses zip ties to fix it anyway, so no "under hanging" fittings required

2) I happened to have some plastic pipe lying around at home, which had a "stiffening" spine molded in, which keeps the two zip ties holding the pipe to the handlebar stem separate.

3) The handlebar stem I have is fairly wide and flattish on top so making it easier (and more secure) for the tube section

4) I used a small piece of rubber "insert" to provide traction between the bottom of the plastic tube and the top of the handlebar stem

It took about 10 minutes to knock up and fit.

One additional approach I found through Google was to use a spare section of fork head tube and cut it half to leave a semi-circle of material - but I didn't have any to hand...

Hope this helps...

Neil
    Cheers, not sure this will work with mine though :D
    I have looked at using zip ties and also using a garmin 305 mount whcih is very similar to the width required but too tight.
    I could do it and fix it to the stem using garmin mount but I want it removable to switch between drop and tri bars.
  • oldwelshman
    John.T wrote:
    Are you allowed computers on the track. The Manchester regs say not. I still use mine but never have time to look at it. Just for download later. It is a Polar CS400 so can not help with yours.

It was the 400 moutn they advised me to use but the opening in the mount is much wider than my computer.
    I have not tried using computer at Manchester but loads use them in Newport.
    I just want it for pacing for pursuit.
    I use it in races also for judging effort in breaks using speed and h/r as a guide.
    For pursuit I want it to pace 31mph laps.
    I don't see an issue as it is same really as having someone walking the line and giving timings, I don't have a helper though so have to do it another way.
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    You can buy dedicated mounts from places like CRC or eBay that mount to the 4 screws at the front of the stem. You'd then have to mount the computer mount to it.

I was looking into getting one for my Foreruner 305, but ended up just fixing the mount to my bars in the normal way. It seems very expensive for what it is.

You can get them in carbon, or plastic at half the price (and it's lighter)

Would this sort of thing do ?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19634