GT 2009 Transeo 5.0 Hybrid any good?

nparayo
nparayo Posts: 7
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Very very sorry if this is the wrong place, Im finding it difficult to get any information on this bike, its the bestselling hybrid on the evans website.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/ ... e-ec016398

Its going for £250 but 10% off until 3rd Jan so that lowers to £225.

Is it a good deal, it doesnt have mudguards though, I presume they can be fitted?

The newbies guides doesnt actually have any recomendations on bikes even though it says it will have them? or have I missed it.

Looking for a new bike as im going to kill myself anyday now with my Apollo XC 26S repaired so many times spent its value in repairs, now with no front brakes, back brakes barely working, no working front gears, im looking for a durable bike, I commute everyday and clearly the apollo was made for the garden shed.

I went for the above option because its best selling so I presume its good quality? and my limit is £250

thank you for any help,

Comments

• aargh actually evans seem to get poor reviews as a shop, not sure I want it built by them anymore :/
  • evans are fine for what they are.

it's a chain shop nothing more or less.

as a cheap commute bike be fine, looks like has mounts for mudguards, but do check clip on ones may not fit as they are for 23mm not 38mm.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Check Edinburgh Bicylces for a good cheap commuter - I think the Revolution Courier Classic is on offer at about 250, excellent bike for the price.
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    A racer in my eyes ...

Bemused how it can be labelled a hybrid
  • colin are you referring to the Revolution courier classic? it has 3cm width tyres, that seems quite scary, i would like more grip on the road. I cant get a spec on the GT one, roger you said mudguards check for 38mm so thats close to 4cm tyre width that seems better. So is the Revolution Courier Classic not a suitable commuter bike? Is the GT a good option. I have to climb road hills, I commute come rain snow or sunshine, sometimes on towpaths.

Thank you for your input
  • To be honest, on the road, you'll get plenty of grip from skinny tyres (not that 1.5" tyres are skinny), and they'll roll easier than thicker ones if you keep them pumped up. The only real problem I see with the Courier Classic, is that it has 26" wheels, that would annoy me, bigger wheels roll faster than smaller wheels. The GT has 700c which are better.

If you can stretch to nearer £300, the Revolution Courier Race looks much better.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    colintrav wrote:
    A racer in my eyes ...

Bemused how it can be labelled a hybrid

because racers do not come with flat bars, a 48 x 14 top gear and 38mm tyres.