Advice on the essentials

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
In the new year I intend to start cycling further from home than I have been so am going to get some roadside repair essentials and a saddle bag to carry them in. But what essentials?

I know I'll need a multi-tool, but with how many functions? And should I carry a spare tube, puncture repair kit or both.

Also I'm going to get a new helmet. Does anyone know how big the uni-sex adults helmet is (I'm currently wearing a kids :wink: )

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,701
    Multitool - You need 4, 5, and 6mm allen keys and a Philips head screwdriver. As long as it's got those 4, sod the rest.

Punctures - I carry a tube normally. On a big ride (80 miles or more) when I'm going to go too far from home to limp back or when I'm going places where I don't know the local bike shops, I'll take patches too.

Helmet - Get one that fits. That means you have to try it on. A badly fitting helmet is worse than no helmet.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    For non-commute rides, I take:

pump
    two spare tubes
    p******* repair kit
    tyre lever
    set of allen keys
    chain tool
    spare chain link
    mobile phone
    insulating tape
    spoke key
    mobile phone
    spare change and credit card
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    As a minimum, for any ride I do, I carry:

Pump
    Spare tube
    Puncture repair kit (but just patches, sandpaper, and glue in a packet)
    Multitool (with allen keys, chain tool, and screwdrivers)
    Some form of money

Often supplemented with:

Tyre levers
    Gaffer tape (wrapped around a bike bottle)
    Leatherman tool
    CO2 canisters/inflator

I can't think of much else I'd want to carry toolwise for day trips, possibly the odd one or two more things for touring.

How many functions a multitool has is less important than which functions it has, and I always reckon both a tube and a patch kit are useful. You get more than one puncture sometimes, and some punctures you can't patch.

As far as helmets go, I'd really recommend going into a shop and trying a few on. Helmets which don't fit right suck.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Hi, depends on the length of ride you are going on.
    Suspect you are talking about 20 miles or so? But I do take by bag on all trips, really if 1 mile from home it is still a pain to walk, so best to be prepared.

Spare tube (maybe 2 if long ride) - If you have not changed tube much, practice in house!!
    2 Tyre levers
    Mini pump, or CO2, I carry both, just never know when the pump will explode!
    Repair kit - I carry Park Tools patches, very quick and strong, no mucking about with glue and other stuff, also very small
    Multi Tool, with allen keys and screwdrivers.
    Phone and cash

That would be minimum, but I have also the following in my smallish saddle bag:

Multispanner
    Small pliers
    Chain tool (part of my multi tool, but dont carry spare link)
    Cable ties

Considering adding:

Tyre boot
    PVC gloves (you get very dirty changing tube, especially if rear)
    Chain Link
    Duct tape
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Suspect you are talking about 20 miles or so? But I do take by bag on all trips, really if 1 mile from home it is still a pain to walk, so best to be prepared.

Spare tube (maybe 2 if long ride) - If you have not changed tube much, practice in house!!
    2 Tyre levers
    Repair kit - I carry Park Tools patches, very quick and strong, no mucking about with glue and other stuff, also very small
    Phone and cash

Multispanner
    Small pliers
    Cable ties

Considering adding:

Tyre boot
    Chain Link
    Duct tape

Arrgh...

Last winter I did come off about 1-mile from my house and the derallieur got pushed into the rear wheel spokes.

I had to wheel the bike (with loaded pannier) back home and keeping the rear wheel off the round.

Not the most fun start to a morning commute.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493

2 Tyre levers
    Phone and cash

Multispanner
    Small pliers
    Cable ties

Considering adding:

Tyre boot
    Chain Link
    Duct tape

useful in many ways, and so small and light, no real reason not too carry some!!!
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Looks like I'll be taking a little trip to Decathalon to try on helmets :wink:

Thanks for the advice.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I carry a small saddle bag on my daily commute which contains
    Pump
    Multitool
    2 tyre levers
    Tube

Longer trips I add puncture repair kit, phone, credit card

If you carry a spare tube make sure its a Presta valve as it will fit any bike as a temporary measure
  • portable gas cooker, tea bags, milk, sugar and a cup, and saucepan for those essential tea breaks :wink:
  • On the puncture repair kit front check out the small square park tools patch kit - its tiny, and contains quite a few self adhesive patches and a square of sandpaper.

Also save a bit of space and get one of the combined micro pumps / inflators. The small pumps are not great, but at least you can inflate a tyre after the cartridges run out. Plus if you choose one with a bottle cage mount its one less thing to go in your jersey pocket / saddle pack. Wiggle have the combined innovations second wind road mini pump on sale at the mo for a good price I think, which is a good design as the cartridge forms the handle of the pump..

If you plan on taking your phone and putting it in your jersey pocket or somewhere it might get wet then look at the Aquapac sleeves for them. They weigh very little, add hardly any bulk to the phone and are completely waterproof.