Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

Do you NEED a bash?

The Northern MonkeyThe Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited January 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
If you take off the outer ring on a crankset, is a bash needed to keep the chain on?
You see people taking off the outer ring because they don't use it, but what if you never grounded the outer ring and don't actually need a bash?

(XT cranks, xt front mech + xt shifters).

Taa.

• nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    well it is a BASH ring not a chain guide.

why do you want one?

I would have a bottom roller. (I do and a ring to help keep the chain on on one bike and a bash on an other).

so do what you want.

PS the X tort is the same frame as an early norco.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • No that's what I was trying to get at... I don't want one lol.
    I wanna run 22/36t but without a bash or chainguide... Just wondering if I'd have and issues with my chain.
    (this is for the P7 btw)

and yeah I've herd a few times thet the x tort is similar to a norco, didn't realise they were identical!
    run a bottom roller as the chain will jump off.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • NorthwindNorthwind Posts: 14,675
    I run no bash, dual ring on the Soul now. I've lost the chain a couple of times but only once that I can think of while riding since I got the mech position right, every other time it's been while manhandling the bike. But, it's never been ridden all that hard since I made the change due to the weather etc, so it might well be that I'll find it doesn't work once I do that. Also, since it's a hardtail the tension's probably more stable, maybe on a full suss it might not be as simple.

The main drawback I've found is that if it does drop the chain, it'll never pedal back on as it lacks the posts which would usually hook the chain back up, so you've got to stop. I've considered adding a light bashring just as a chain catcher, or something else along those lines, but so far I've not needed it.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • xtreemxtreem Posts: 2,965
    Another job for the bash ring is to prevent trousers catching on the chainring.
    I now wear thight jeans at the bottom.
    You can imagine what happen to the trousers that I've been using it. :|
  • robertpbrobertpb Posts: 1,866
    My mum always said when I was a kid that I needed a bash. :lol:

She is 85 now so I can outrun her, but I pointed out that I have a bash on the bike. :)
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Slight tangent - Can you set up the mech so that it can't try and put the chain on to the outter ring? I'm guessing yes. Coz if the ring ain't there and you accidently hit the shifter, your chain is gonna shoot off on the outside - isn't it? and a bash ring or whatever wont help that situation.

I'm a bit think about these things, but keen to learn :shock:
    The bash will stop the chain moving over, it will make a bit of a racket but the chain won't come off.

My front mech only works on a double ring so I don't have the problem. :)
    Slight tangent - Can you set up the mech so that it can't try and put the chain on to the outter ring? I'm guessing yes.

Yup, or at least you can with my XT, just a case of winding the limit screw in. They do double-specific mechs too, which are supposed to deal better with wider ranges of gears.
    Uncompromising extremist
    Northwind wrote:
    Slight tangent - Can you set up the mech so that it can't try and put the chain on to the outter ring? I'm guessing yes.

Yup, or at least you can with my XT, just a case of winding the limit screw in. They do double-specific mechs too, which are supposed to deal better with wider ranges of gears.

same for 99% of mechs.
  • xtreemxtreem Posts: 2,965
    You can do that with the Sram 3.0.
  • 77ric77ric Posts: 601
    along similar lines, if i was to remove the outer ring from my triple set, would i have to (or would it be best to) lower the front mech on it's wee mounting stub/seatpost so that it sits closer to the (presently) middle ring like it does with the outer ring currently?

i've look this up a few times and so far never been able to find an answer.
    Fancy a brew?
    No, just adjust the limit screw.
    I lowered mine a touch, doesn't seem to make any practical difference but it makes less noise.
    Uncompromising extremist
    Northwind wrote:
    I lowered mine a touch, doesn't seem to make any practical difference but it makes less noise.

not needed as you have not changed the position or size of the other cogs!

of cause if they have been changed you may need to make some changes.
    Not needed, no, but without the big ring I found I was able to get the same shifting but with the mech mounted a little lower, which like I say made no practical difference, but cut the chain noise over really rattly stuff. So, for me, it was worth doing I think though it made no difference at all to performance.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • mrfmilomrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Sorry to Hi-Jack the thread. :?

I'm just about to remove the outer ring and replace in with an E-13 guard. Which limit screw(L,H) will i need to adjust, and what way (clockwise, anti)? :oops:
    H ( for high gear) and probably clockwise.
    Uncompromising extremist
    mrfmilo wrote:
    Sorry to Hi-Jack the thread. :?

I'm just about to remove the outer ring and replace in with an E-13 guard. Which limit screw(L,H) will i need to adjust, and what way (clockwise, anti)? :oops:

Methinks you have been at the sauce bottle over Christmas. :lol:

What does L mean and what does H mean, give up, adjust H.

Just turn the screw and find out what way the mech moves, if it moves into the frame you're going the right way.
  • mrfmilomrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    :lol:

Thanks, I am always confused when setting gears up...
  • evo3benevo3ben Posts: 552
    I am just in the process of buying a bash guard. A few of my big ring teeth have taken a few hits and are now damaged and razor sharp :shock: I slipped off my pedal the other week and caught my calf on it giving me a few nice cuts. I hardly ever use the big ring so im getting rid of it and fitting a bash guard for one main reason, the damage that can be done to your calf is unreal which is evident in MBR magazine photos and in my opinion worth fitting just for your own protection. Replacing a big ring is not expensive but slicing your calf open will put you out of riding for months.