what helmet

Slamdunkin
Slamdunkin Posts: 355
edited December 2009 in MTB buying advice
What helmets do you guys have?...anyone picked up any bargains lately.

I've been looking at the Bell Array (I have found one for £25 quid), but don't know if it is suitable for off road use.

any comments suggestions welcome

Comments

• dave8178
    dave8178 Posts: 169
    ive got a specialized devient. cost £100 but worth it, saftey wise. if you dont fall off your not trying hard enough.
    specialized stumpjumper.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/4461838/
    commencal supreme vip.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/5884133/
    Bianchi via nirone 7.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Start with what helmets fit your head best then shorten the list.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Yep, try them on and find one that is comfortable for you. It's much better to get one that feels right than to worry about getting a bargain.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    There are Giro Hexes around for £30, which is just fantastic, they're really decent helmets and worth twice that. But fit is what counts most.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Sixsixone Strike full face. Looks silly, but i will inevitably be eating gravel and roots if i don't wear a full face. Plus i wanna protect my California smile :shock: :lol:
  • Slamdunkin wrote:
    What helmets do you guys have?...anyone picked up any bargains lately.

I've been looking at the Bell Array (I have found one for £25 quid), but don't know if it is suitable for off road use.

any comments suggestions welcome

if this is the 1 on sale in halfords at the moment i bought 1 a week ago and i love it :D
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • I'm trying hard to not press the buy button, but I'm going to go into town tomorrow and try a few on for size.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    Slamdunkin wrote:
    I'm trying hard to not press the buy button, but I'm going to go into town tomorrow and try a few on for size.
    yeah thats good. it depends on your head shape. if you buy online you can't try before you buy.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    think about the weight too. i bought a giro zen on comfort (it's fantastic, by the way), but it is a tad on the weighty side if you're doing really long ride. this starts to tell and becomes a comfort issue....
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • GHill
    think about the weight too. i bought a giro zen on comfort (it's fantastic, by the way), but it is a tad on the weighty side if you're doing really long ride. this starts to tell and becomes a comfort issue....

The Xen is pretty light for the protection it offers though. What type of riding do you do Slamdunkin?
  • while I'm building up my fitness, mainly on road country lanes and a few bridle ways...I'd like to go over to Sherwood pines and also do some of the peak district trails as well in the not to distant future.

So 70% road at present.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    oh, no quibbles on the protection, and it's comfy, but it does get to you once you start pushing the 50mile mark (not so much of an issue in winter)
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • GHill
    Slamdunkin wrote:
    while I'm building up my fitness, mainly on road country lanes and a few bridle ways...I'd like to go over to Sherwood pines and also do some of the peak district trails as well in the not to distant future.

So 70% road at present.

I which case, something like a Xen or Hex may well be overkill (although, you've only got one head). Something more general purpose or xc orientated might be the ticket.
  • I went into halfords today and tried some helmets on and have decided on a Bell Slant as it was a comfy fit and looks quite cool.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I have the slant, light, good adjustment and well vented for the money. But more importantly, the only one that fit me ;-)
  • That's nice to know...I've obviously made a good choice then

It was £39 in halfords and I cant find it much cheaper on-line. Amazon have the carbon coloured one for £27 which is a bargain, but I don't like the colour. So I'm getting me dad to bring one from the states when he comes in January

ether this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/BELL-SLANT-MOUNTAIN ... 439c4eec99

or this

http://cgi.ebay.com/BELL-SLANT-BIKE-BIC ... 483893fbe5

Not sure which colours I prefer though.