Adjustable seat post- reviews?

rhyko7
rhyko7 Posts: 781
edited December 2009 in MTB buying advice
any advice or knowledge on adjustable seat posts?

My Kind shock (sette)850 has died after about 6 months, i have used it on average 3 times per week, so thats not great product life but not too bad really. its a pneumatic system and relies on the air pressure that is sealed within the cartridge which has now leaked out :(

anyways i need a new post now, i dont want to go back to rigid posts becuase i love the flow and fact you can just ride continuously with a quick on the move adjustment.

so which post do i get?

which ones come with good warranties?
anyone who has used one for over a year willing to give a review?
and how does that one work-spring, pneumatic, etc?

cheers guys
Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    this month's MBUK has a mini-grouptest of adjustable seatposts, i could put the results up if you'd like?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    ilovedirt wrote:
    this month's MBUK has a mini-grouptest of adjustable seatposts, i could put the results up if you'd like?

yeah i would appreciate that
    i think with these things, they all work well for a couple months, its which one that will last the longest or has the best warranty that matters.
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    I've got a KSi900 which is great when it works but has become pretty much unusable - I am gonna get it fixed but then probably sell it.

I've just bought a Gravity Dropper which is meant to be the most reliable and the easiest to fix/maintain as it is a simple mechanical system. Having a remote is miles better too btw.

A guy I did the Mega with had one of those i850 ones and it only lasted half way down the Qualifier before it broke!
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    grumsta wrote:
    I've got a KSi900 which is great when it works but has become pretty much unusable - I am gonna get it fixed but then probably sell it.

I've just bought a Gravity Dropper which is meant to be the most reliable and the easiest to fix/maintain as it is a simple mechanical system. Having a remote is miles better too btw.

A guy I did the Mega with had one of those i850 ones and it only lasted half way down the Qualifier before it broke!

Interesting I was looking at the i850 as I need a 27.2mm but your not the first to day that so I think I will be giving It a miss
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    i don't actually have the mag with me right now I just remembered, so if you don't get any good answers by tomorrow, i'll post it then, but the crank brothers joplin is supposed to be good.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    Sarnian wrote:
    grumsta wrote:

Interesting I was looking at the i850 as I need a 27.2mm but your not the first to day that so I think I will be giving It a miss

Gravity Dropper comes in 27.2 - not cheap though I suppose.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    I do :)

Pure Race KSI900L 9/10 performance, 8/10 value £160
    Gravity dropper Turbo 8/10, 6/10 £240
    Crank bros, Jpolin 3 remote 6/10 6/10 £240
    Specialized Command post 7/10 , 510 £250
    RASE Black mamba 8/`10, 7/10 £209
    Pure Race KSI850 6/10, 8/10 £60
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Suppose the joplin @ £100 from CRC is a bargain now.

I had one on my last bike and had no issues with it at all over the 6 months I had it. Only had ot sell it as it didn't fit my new frame :!:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The gravity dropper got marked down in that test for its price but it's only £200 in the shops for a Turbo. Bargain really, KS might have sorted out theirs now but my mate's 900 has been an absolute disaster, worse than worthless since it's spoiled more rides than it's enhanced. If they've learned from that and fixed the product then it might be very good, but I'd be wary of them still.

I always recommend Gravity Dropper, they're great, and they're light. But most importantly they're rock solid reliable, which so far none of the competition seems to be.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Steve_b77 wrote:
    Suppose the joplin @ £100 from CRC is a bargain now.

I had one on my last bike and had no issues with it at all over the 6 months I had it. Only had ot sell it as it didn't fit my new frame :!:

Pretty much the same story for me, but my original one I had for 18 months with no issues.

Got one for £100 from CRC.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I paid £67 for a 2nd hand speedball off fleabay and its be trouble free for the last 8 months.If it wasn't for the fact that it still works fine i'd be tempted by the £100 CRC offer 8)
  • vmgscot
    vmgscot Posts: 120
    Been using my Joplin now for 19 months. I ride all (Scottish) weathers and soon realised the seals are pants so make sure you stick something like a lIzard Skins shockboot or old inner tube on as a 'gator'.

Been fairly reliable up to a couple months back when started losing pressure. 2Pure sorted under the 2 year warranty.

I wouldn't buy another at the list £200 but would spend the CRC offer price £100
    vmgscot