Smart 1/2 watt B-Spoke front bracket

Carlos13
Carlos13 Posts: 152
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
I need a "be seen" front light to compliment the Fenix light that I use to see, which I'm planning to mount on my helmet. The main criteria (apart from reasonable brightness/flash mode) is that it clicks into/out of it's mount easily. I use two bikes to commute and need to buy a light and two mounts. It might sound daft but ease of attaching to the bike is absolutely key - I've been using the Fenix with a lockblock mount and it's torture to try and put it on/remove it quickly, especially with gloves on.

The Smart 1/2 watt B-Spoke front light seems to fit the bill, it's pretty cheap and I can buy an additional mount. But I can't quite see if the mount is designed to stay on the bars, and if so, if the light simply clicks into it.

Can anyone who has experience of this light offer some advice? Thanks.
08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
On One Scandal single speed
08 Specialized Tricross Singlecross
Felt CA1
70s Claud Butler Campag Gransport - Fixed conversion
Various other junk

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Looking at the addition bracket http://tinyurl.com/y8c6yht the lamp just slides in & out of the bracket. I use one of the brackets for a Tesco torch with a little bit of cannabalising.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • The light slides in and clicks when locked. Push a lever down and it slides out. The bracket stays on the handlebar. Mine's been fine and like you i got two sets of brackets so I could use the one set of lights on both bikes.
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • Carlos13
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    Felt CA1
    Various other junk
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Carlos13 wrote:
    I need a "be seen" front light to compliment the Fenix light that I use to see, which I'm planning to mount on my helmet. The main criteria (apart from reasonable brightness/flash mode) is that it clicks into/out of it's mount easily. I use two bikes to commute and need to buy a light and two mounts. It might sound daft but ease of attaching to the bike is absolutely key - I've been using the Fenix with a lockblock mount and it's torture to try and put it on/remove it quickly, especially with gloves on.

The Smart 1/2 watt B-Spoke front light seems to fit the bill, it's pretty cheap and I can buy an additional mount. But I can't quite see if the mount is designed to stay on the bars, and if so, if the light simply clicks into it.

Can anyone who has experience of this light offer some advice? Thanks.

How's the lockblock torture to install/remove the Fenix? I've been using a Fenix L2D and lockblock and it couldn't be quicker. Stick it in the slot and strap the velcro in place and hey presto it's ready. To remove just rip the velcro strap open and pull the torch out and it's off! Never had a light easier to use, ever!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Carlos13
    How's the lockblock torture to install/remove the Fenix? I've been using a Fenix L2D and lockblock and it couldn't be quicker. Stick it in the slot and strap the velcro in place and hey presto it's ready. To remove just rip the velcro strap open and pull the torch out and it's off! Never had a light easier to use, ever!

Because the bike is kept in an insecure location, I remove the entire lockblock rather than leave it on the bike. Try this with thick winter gloves on, or worse, gloves that tend to stick to the velcro. And brake cables that inhibit access. Torture is possibly an exaggeration, but I make 4 bike journeys per day, so I have to put the torch on and take it off 4 times per day. I am wasting my life fiddling about with velcro straps and marshmallow fingers. What I need is...."click"...
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    Felt CA1
    Various other junk
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Carlos13 wrote:

Because the bike is kept in an insecure location, I remove the entire lockblock rather than leave it on the bike. Try this with thick winter gloves on, or worse, gloves that tend to stick to the velcro. And brake cables that inhibit access. Torture is possibly an exaggeration, but I make 4 bike journeys per day, so I have to put the torch on and take it off 4 times per day. I am wasting my life fiddling about with velcro straps and marshmallow fingers. What I need is...."click"...

Fair enough. I also make at least 4 separate journeys per day. I just leave the lockblock on the bike and remove the torch, even when the bike's locked out in the open. I know the lockblocks are pretty expensive to replace for what they are but to most people they just look like a velcro strap on the bike and not worth nicking.

Clip on bike lights are also convenient but it's faily easy not to quite click the light on fully, especially if you're wearing gloves. I've lost a couple of lights over the years when I've not managed to completely click the light on, hit a pothole or small bump in the road, then the light flies off bike, lands in road and gets run over by cars - so watch out!

Also if you feel that your bike is in such an insecure spot, you may feel the need to remove the entire bike clip on light bracket from the bike (they can be expensive or impossible to replace, leaving you with a functioning bike light which you are unable to afix to the bike) and those are way more of a pain to remove than a simple velcro strap on lockblock.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.