Which Jacket?

mattrsa
mattrsa Posts: 143
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Going to start to commuting to work soon so looking to get a decent waterproof jacket but don't want to spend loads of cash

I have seen the altura night vision jacket on a number of sites saying its a great jacket from commuting. Does anyone have this? or can reccommend something better in the same price bracket

thanks in advance
Matt
Commuter - Trek 1.2
Fun - Specialized Rockhopper

Comments

• The Nightvision IS a great jacket - VERY visible and warm.. a little too warm sometimes. Even when it was -3 and I was cycling; I was warm on the torso with just this and a long sleeve (non thermal) base layer, but then I am a bit chunky.

There are vents on the rear to allow some airflow and I used these on all but the coldest days.

You are highly visible when wearing the yellow one, and I do recommend it.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    +1 for the Night Vision. I tend to use a thermal baselayer under it, but the same applies to every jacket I've used.

It's worth buying a buff. It'll stop the draught getting down your collar and it's also useful for keeping the face warm.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I've got the Night Vision Evo and wear it with a standard base layer. It's got 3 front and one rear pocket which I find handy.

I'm very pleased with it.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    The Alturas are OK if you are short or normal build. If you have longish arms I would avoid them.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • mattrsa
    mattrsa Posts: 143
    thanks guys,

will pop into my local bike shop to try one on and see how it fits.

thanks
    matt
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
    Fun - Specialized Rockhopper
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    The Nightvision IS a great jacket - VERY visible and warm.. a little too warm sometimes. Even when it was -3 and I was cycling; I was warm on the torso with just this and a long sleeve (non thermal) base layer, but then I am a bit chunky.

There are vents on the rear to allow some airflow and I used these on all but the coldest days.

You are highly visible when wearing the yellow one, and I do recommend it.

Ignore him, he lives up north, prob hasn't even switch his heating on in the house yet! :P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • after used 4 different good brands over passed 20 yrs, including my 2nd favorite all-time commuter jacket by Burley (tho unsure those avail anymore), i think the best all around VALUE in a quality cycling specific jacket, thats H2O proof & cost less then 100.00 are the super visible brite flooressant yellow ones by Craft. I also like very much the Specialized MTB jacket but only water repellant. its very well-made, very litewait but sheds lite rain/drizzell well enough & breathes real well, however, its got minimal reflective striping since MTB style, of course...
    RIDE On