anti snot rockets

teticio
teticio Posts: 107
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
i think i have found a solution for snot rockets that is so obvious i'm surprised it is not in the beginner's FAQ. you seasoned commuters probably have discovered this but, for me, it has been a bit of a revelation as someone who had to fire at least 8 snot rockets (4 each side) in a typical commute.

the solution is to wear glasses / goggles!! if your eyes water, your nose runs.

i got myself some rudy project photochromatic jobbies and they work really well even though they make me look like bono if i wear them indoors (which is definitely a drawback as far as i am concerned).

Comments

• downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    :lol:
  • I had no idea....
    How do you find riding in glasses though? I bought some Oakley M-frames with clear lenses but only used them once. They fogged up and made me feel all claustrophobic, and obviously I looked like a retard in them too.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I had no idea....
    How do you find riding in glasses though? I bought some Oakley M-frames with clear lenses but only used them once. They fogged up and made me feel all claustrophobic, and obviously I looked like a retard in them too.

I find putting on warm glasses stops the fogging, and oddly taking them off at the lights. I suppose its the heat difference from your body and outside

Motorcyclists use antifog sprays on their visors, not sure if this would work on cycle goggles?
  • and obviously I looked like a retard in them too.

I assume you're talking about optional glasses and not having a go at us rgular bos eyed freaks :wink:

back on topic: I wear glasses all the time and the only fogging occurrs for me when stopped too, downfader is right it's the tepmerature differential, the visor stuff helps but isn't a panacea for all fogging and I dont take mine off once on because its a PITA fitting it back under my helmet strps and over my ears.

Fogging occurs worse on dirty glasses than clean and I've been told that the coatings that are put onto the lenses adds to it too.

Vinegar helps as does a thin smear of washing up liquid or photographic wetting agent which helps the water remain in droplet form and roll off rather than form as a mist on the lens. nothing I've tried has been 100% tho.

The fog soon clears when you set off if you tilt your head down just for a second or two to get a good quick airflow over them, after than they're clear as owt.
  • teticio
    i was worried about the fogging aspect but they work a treat. i had some nike sunglasses that weren't exactly cheap and they would fog up all the time. have to say i really recommend these ones (i can't remember the exact model - something like exowind??).

of course, if it rains then its back to the snot rockets
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    I wear glasses most of the time when riding. Doesn't stop my nose running though!
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Yes and the worse thing is stopping in a traffic queue near a bus stop full of youth, who cannot resist pointing out the fact that you have snot hanging from your nostrils.

ahem of course ladies don't have snot :oops:
  • teticio
    markp2 wrote:
    I wear glasses most of the time when riding. Doesn't stop my nose running though!

maybe your nose would run even more... it didn't completely stop my nose from running
    but i'd say it reduced the number of launches from 8 to about 2 per 45 minutes.

or maybe it depends on how much they cover your eyes... do you find your eyes water when you are going fast?
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I wear glasses and this time of year i have to blow my nose a good 4-5 times a day in a 10 mile commute .

I prefer the pocket full of tissue approach to the rocket .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • The Washing up liquid idea is a good one - works well if you remember NOT to get any water on them ;)

The rainaway stuff works amazingly well for keeping them clear as well... and getting full wrap-arounds to keep as much air away from your eyes is by far the best way to stop the ssssnnnnnoooorrrrrkkkkk.... hhhhnnnnnggggh.... hoccccccckkkkkk..... thing 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I wear glasses all the time, I'm very short sighted and have never bothered with contacts or laser eye sugery. As others have mentioned, my glasses only fog when I slow or stop long enough for the hot air coming from my face to cause condensation on the lenses, if I'm moving, the air flow keeps them clear, like put the fan onto the windscreen in a car when it fogs.

I still find that my nose runs like crazy and I'm always blowing "snot rockets" as they're termed apparently. Not to go into too much detail but my gloves and shoulders of my cycling gear usually has a liberal spray of the green stuff at all times :? !

I read somewhere that "exercise induced rhinitis" is an affliction that affects certain people and not much can be done about it, however I find it's worst on the bike, when I run it isn't so bad....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Here's something I've found works, DO NOT blow your nose no matter how much you want to, swallow then spit if you must. :lol:

Once you start with the nose blowing you'll be doing it the whole ride.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.