Fox 32 Float R air pressures??

podgeorge
podgeorge Posts: 188
edited December 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
So today i collected my Orange Crush (2010), and it is brilliant (pics coming soon), although the forks i reckon are too soft, i tried messing with them earlier, with a bog standard bicycle foot pump, which firstly ended up with them completely deflating, then i think i pumped them up to 100 psi. But they still feel too soft! Although there's only about 6mm sag when i just sit on the bike!
I gather 100 psi is rather alot for forks, but I'm not sure what pressure they should be at, i am about 68KG if thats any use!
I have never had a decent pair of forks before, but i just feel like they'd bottom out if i went over just a 1 foot jump :?
Any suggestions on pressures or opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Comments

• You would be better off getting a specific suspension/shock pump. As the amount of air contained in the fork is so little, you lose a huge proportion when taking the valve off if you use a normal pump. You may find that even though it said 100psi when you were pumping, now there is only 50 or so in there.

I run my Fox floats at about 90psi and I'm 80kg.
  • You would be better off getting a specific suspension/shock pump. As the amount of air contained in the fork is so little, you lose a huge proportion when taking the valve off if you use a normal pump. You may find that even though it said 100psi when you were pumping, now there is only 50 or so in there.

I run my Fox floats at about 90psi and I'm 80kg.

Ok thanks alot for the answer :wink: I know what you mean about losing so much air, i might try one more time and see, but i suppose i should get a proper shock pump!
    Would you say i should be looking at around 80 psi for my weight then??
    Cheers
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    I run my fox 32 rlcs at between 80 and 85 psi, I am 70kg. About the same should be fine for you. Remember you want to be using all the travel of the fork on each ride ideally...
  • Ok thanks for the insight, i'll try and adjust them with a normal pump, but i may have to find a proper pump!
    Thanks Again
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just set the sag to what you need with a proper pump.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 72-75 psi and i weigh around 13 stone in bike gear.
  • sailor74 wrote:
    72-75 psi and i weigh around 13 stone in bike gear.

Oh, ok interesting, i shall have to get a propper pump and find a pressure which suits me best!
    Thanks for the info ;)
  • I'm 65kg and run 55 psi. Deinfately get a shock pump or you'll have no idea what pressure they're at.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and all these numbers are worthless.

set your sag and then tweek.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Airienteer wrote:
    I'm 65kg and run 55 psi. Deinfately get a shock pump or you'll have no idea what pressure they're at.

Well there's a coincidence, my bike Meta 5.5.2, I weigh 65kg in all my gear and I've 55 psi in my forks. :)

Podgeorge, you can only set the bike up for sag with you on it, other peoples figures are only a rough guide, as their bikes could have a totally different setup and riding position.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"