“Wear-and-tear” or 'life-time" of disc pad

Griselda
Griselda Posts: 24
edited December 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all!
Being rather new to disc brakes, I have the following question:
On average, how many miles or km can be done with a set of disk-brake pads? Or, how do I know when my pads need replacing before any damage is done to disks or calliper?
Thanks for your advice.

Griselda

Comments

• forcutty
    forcutty Posts: 1,055
    Griselda wrote:
    Hi all!
    Being rather new to disc brakes, I have the following question:
    On average, how many miles or km can be done with a set of disk-brake pads? Or, how do I know when my pads need replacing before any damage is done to disks or calliper?
    Thanks for your advice.

Griselda

What brakes/pad and conditions?

This is a tough one to answer as it all depends on the riding conditions. If you ride in mud and sand and brake heavily then you'll burn through them really quick!!! But if your just casually riding then they should last several years.Its all down to conditions and use etc.

You can see the pads in the calipers!! When new they normally have about 3mm on each pad, i replace mine when theres about 1mm left.I would'nt worry about the rotors as they're stainless steal so you could just replace when there shot!!
  • I have worn through a set of brand new organic pads in one ride (ouch!) Probably 30km, and exceptionally muddy conditions.

I'm now using sintered pads and I seem to go through pads every 3-4 months or so, riding once or twice a week.