First Ultegra 6700 install **UPDATED** I think I love SRAM

marin_maniac
marin_maniac Posts: 513
edited January 2010 in Workshop
Got a Boardman TC on order and when it arrives I intend to strip the SRAM and fit Ultegra 6700.

Fitting most of the groupset even though it would be my first time fitting a complete groupset doesn't faze me, the only thing I'm a tad nervouse about is installing the shifters.

My question is, where the cable housing for both the gears and brakes enter the shifter housing, would you put a ferrule on the end of the housing?

Any other tips for installing these shifters would be greatly appreciated [/i]anyone with Dura Ace 7900 could probably point me in the right direction also as I'm pretty sure the cable entry points for the shifters are the same as the Ultegra's.[/i]

Comments

• rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    why remove the sram?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Why on earth are you ditching the Sram?
  • On the Dura ace 7700 shifters I have I don't have a ferrule on the outer cable which goes into the shifter body, for a start it won't fit with a ferrule.

+1 why on earth ditch the Sram!
    Carbon fibre, it's all nonsense. Drink beer. Ride a steel bike. Don't be a ponce.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I have Ultegra 6700.
    I also have SRAM.

Why on Earth are you going to all that expense, to ditch a better groupset?
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Why are you downgrading the boardman?
  • rake wrote:
    why remove the sram?

Sram stuff just feels cheaply made compared to Shimano. Another big reason is I much prefer the hoods, and I'd be lying if I didn't tell you it looks much nicer.
    Why on earth are you ditching the Sram?

See above.
    Why on Earth are you going to all that expense, to ditch a better groupset?

By the time I've flogged the Sram bits, with the price I've got the Boardman for and the left over voucher value, its not going to cost hardly anything to change to Ultegra.
    Why are you downgrading the boardman?

I don't really think I'm downgrading from Sram Rival shifters and other non groupset parts (namely Tektro shite calipers and 350s chainset) compared to fitting complete Ultegra groupset, do you?
  • Why are you downgrading the boardman?

I don't really think I'm downgrading from Sram Rival shifters and other non groupset parts (namely Tektro shite calipers and 350s chainset) compared to fitting complete Ultegra groupset, do you?

Removing Tektro shite and putting on Shimano Shite?

LOL!
  • TornadoTom wrote:

LOL!

Trust me, I've got Tektro on my Boardman Comp and compared to 105 brakes on a friend's Caad 9, I know which set I'd rather have. It's not the Tektro.

Anyways, I appreciate everyone's concern about downgrading the TC. If you like Sram, Shimano or Campag, thats fine. You like what you like, and I like Shimano :wink:

Anychance we can get back on topic. and I can get some installation tips?
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Got a Boardman TC on order and when it arrives I intend to strip the SRAM and fit Ultegra 6700.

Fitting most of the groupset even though it would be my first time fitting a complete groupset doesn't faze me, the only thing I'm a tad nervouse about is installing the shifters.

My question is, where the cable housing for both the gears and brakes enter the shifter housing, would you put a ferrule on the end of the housing?

Any other tips for installing these shifters would be greatly appreciated [/i]anyone with Dura Ace 7900 could probably point me in the right direction also as I'm pretty sure the cable entry points for the shifters are the same as the Ultegra's.[/i]

I recently fitted the 6700 and a think I put a ferrule on both. The plastic case for the sti
    seemed to have more options and shaped to take the ferrule.

Biggest problem I had was finding where to insert the inner gear cable. It's on the front,
    but you need to pull the rubber cover up a lot.

Can't comment on SRAM other than a quick test on a trainer, but the 6700 seems really good.
    exercise.png
  • rake
    im bored of saying this now. tektro brakes are not shite. ITS THE BRAKE BLOCKS.
    the calipers can only press the pads into the rim. the pivots are good and a little flex if you squeeze hard. yet once pressed to the rim the pads do all the work. the standard pads are very poor, they seem very hard. put top quality pads in and they are as good as many other brakes. also i bet the sram crank is stiffer than the shimano one. this is a definite downgrade , your choice.
  • Anonymous
    rake wrote:
    the calipers can only press the pads into the rim. the pivots are good and a little flex if you squeeze hard. yet once pressed to the rim the pads do all the work. the standard pads are very poor, they seem very hard. put top quality pads in and they are as good as many other brakes. also i bet the sram crank is stiffer than the shimano one. this is a definite downgrade , your choice.

Indeed -

Get some of the Kool Stop Salmons!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Kool_Stop_Dura_Ace~Ultegra~105_Pair_Of_Cartridge_Inserts/5300005952/
  • rake wrote:

Sorry pal I have to sort of agree to disagree. I changed the brake blocks on mine, and whilst the change did have a positive impact on braking, I still think they're tosh.
  • Anonymous
    Why not get some Sram brakes then?
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Why not get some Sram brakes then?

From me!.... 2010 SRAM Force :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • rake
    rake wrote:

Sorry pal I have to sort of agree to disagree. I changed the brake blocks on mine, and whilst the change did have a positive impact on braking, I still think they're tosh.
    what pads did you put in?
    ive also done this and i could go over the bars if i wanted to. same bike btw.
    how can you have changed them. the bike is on order.
  • Anonymous
    TornadoTom wrote:

LOL!

Trust me, I've got Tektro on my Boardman Comp and compared to 105 brakes on a friend's Caad 9, I know which set I'd rather have. It's not the Tektro.

Anyways, I appreciate everyone's concern about downgrading the TC. If you like Sram, Shimano or Campag, thats fine. You like what you like, and I like Shimano :wink:

Anychance we can get back on topic. and I can get some installation tips?[/quote]

Hehe, you'll go far on here. have you found your dummy yet ? :wink:
  • rake wrote:
    rake wrote:

what pads did you put in?
    ive also done this and i could go over the bars if i wanted to. same bike btw.
    how can you have changed them. the bike is on order.

To be honest, I can't remember what make they were as they were one of the first things I replaced when I got the bike. I'm pretty sure they're not Koolstops though.
    Hehe, you'll go far on here. have you found your dummy yet ? :wink:

Thanks for your helpful input :wink:
  • Hi Marin

Have just installed 6700 groupset, this was the first time I had fitted a complete groupset to a frame.
    Was impressed with all the parts supplied and the instructions were good. Only had one part I could not find a home for!!!!

Ferrule would not fit in housing, so did not try to fit it.

Other comments
    Was suprised that the fit of the left crank was a push fit on the splines. Thought this could leave a gap and then have end float. Does not seem a problem.
    The front caliper to fork nut puzzled me for a bit. The elongated nut was too short
    Did not spot there were a selection of different lengths in the packing.

hope this helps
    paul

weather forecasters are liars
  • Hi Marin

Have just installed 6700 groupset, this was the first time I had fitted a complete groupset to a frame.
    Was impressed with all the parts supplied and the instructions were good. Only had one part I could not find a home for!!!!

Ferrule would not fit in housing, so did not try to fit it.

Other comments
    Was suprised that the fit of the left crank was a push fit on the splines. Thought this could leave a gap and then have end float. Does not seem a problem.
    The front caliper to fork nut puzzled me for a bit. The elongated nut was too short
    Did not spot there were a selection of different lengths in the packing.

hope this helps
    paul

Thanks Paul, thats just the sort of info I was looking for. How does it shift compared to your previous grouset?

I've read about a bit of metal that sticks out on the hoods that catches some riders. Have you noticed this?
  • Hi Marin

Shifting is not as good as previous system. Only had one control to operate, could change gear when stopped, had 520% gear range, straight chain line, no maintenance etc.
    Have a Rohlof 14 speed hub geared bike.

Still getting used to drops and four levers to operate, so have not noticed any other "bits of metal sticking out"

regards
    paul

weather forecasters are liars
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    TornadoTom wrote:

LOL!

But it's not shite....
  • freehub wrote:
    TornadoTom wrote:

LOL!

But it's not shite....

I know, nothing wrong with Tektro really.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Indeed, I use it on my commuter and it's fine. I'd put 105's on if I had some spare.
  • freehub wrote:
    Indeed, I use it on my commuter and it's fine. I'd put 105's on if I had some spare.

Thats exactly what I would have done if I hadn't got the TC on order. The difference in braking to me is deffo worth the expense.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    paulhipwood

How did you route the cables on the bars? Do you keep the cables together or do they go on opposite sides of the bar? I've got some 6700 shifters to fit and I've never fitted road stis before.

Also regarding the cable outers, i was hoping to get some white outers but if you say the standard shimano outers (which are pretty thin anyway) wont fit into the shifter with the plastic ferrule then I'm wondering if its not going to be possible (the jagwire cables ive looked at have thicker outers)

Cheers
  • Ok. Just had a play with Rival in Halfords when "trying" to collect my bike.

Apart from the almighty cock up with the bike, I think I'm loving the Sram.

So much so, that I don't think I'll bother with changing to Ultegra.

Now hopefully some of you can help me with a new conumdrum this change of heart has created.

I have £300 in the way of accessories to spend in Halfords. This was going to be spent on an Ultegra chainset and BB.

I was thinking of getting some Rival calipers, but after that I'm not sure what else to buy?!