Swapping forks over.

Nalla
Nalla Posts: 87
edited December 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

The wife got me a new bike for xmas so i thought id do up her bike with the better parts from my old one.

The first thing i went to swap over was the front suspension forks. Her bike is a specialized myka elite 2007 with rock shock dart 3 forks fitted. Mine is a 2007 specialized rockhopper pro with rock shock rebal sl forks fitted.

I read a few guides and presumed i could skip the bit about the crown race as both forks have been fitted to bikes already.

Both forks have the same diameter stearer tube but when i fit the rebas into her frame and fit the stem loosely, no matter how much i risk tightening the top cap into the star nut i cant eliminate the huge amount of play there is.

Is it the headset thats causing this do you think and if so how can i sort it? New headset (which type?) or try removing the headset from my bike and fitting to hers (which i guess would need some special tools :cry: )

Thanks

Comments

• You might find that the crown races are different or you may need to put another spacer on the steerer. I'm guessing the headtube on the myka is a tad shorter than on your rockhopper. Hope this helps
    I would try changing the crown race on the forks first,
  • Nalla
    Cheers ill have a go at that. (Was really hoping i wouldnt have to mess about with the crown races though as they seem a bugger to remove).

Thanks
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Are the steerer tubes the same length on both forks? If not then it's a case of adding or removing spcers or getting a stem with a shorter clamp.
    Also ifferent headsets used different crown races so swapping them is probably a good idea.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Shouldn't be to hard to remove, just a flat headed screwedriver, a mallet and some patience.
    Also some persistance.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you will need to swap crown races over.

See the FAQs. and Parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Nalla
    Thanks, spent most of the day gently tapping away and swapped the races over. I think i may need to trim the steerer tube down a little though as it looks a little silly with so many spacers! :)