Ultegra SL Triple Chainset Compatibility Question

Dazza993
Dazza993 Posts: 99
edited December 2009 in Workshop
Hi all,

On my 2010 Allez Triple it currenly has an 8 speed setup, with a Shimano 2200 groupset.

I'm think of replacing the crankset with a Ultegra SL triple crankset (Hollowtech 2 with external BB) as they seem to be heavily discounted at a few places.

I think that the Ultegra chainset is designed for 10 speed setups but would it work with the rest of my 8 speed setup or not? Will the Ultegra chainrings be narrower and designed to work with an 10 speed chain and therefore if I ever wanted to change, I'd also have to replace the right hand shifter, rear cassette & rear derailler to a matching 10-speed setup too?

Any advice most welcome.

Comments

• The SL chainset will work with what you have (chain width plays no part with the front chainset), you`ll need the bottom-bracket to suit it as it`s Hollowtech II abd I don`t think your 2200 is??

TBH I`d not be spending near £150 on that chainset, with the rest of the groupset being 2200. For that sort of outlay I`d be buying some second-hand 105 10 speed or similar parts to upgrade the whole bike. Biggest cost will be the shifters (around £100 S/H) then you`ll need a 10 speed cassette (£15-£20) which will fit your wheel no probs. and a 10 speed chain (£10), rear mech for around £15 S/H, same for the front mech, Tiagra 9 speed front and rear mechs will work OK with the 10 speed shifters to save on cost and are easy to get S/H. Just a better quality front chainset to buy then, £25 will buy you a S/H Tiagra HT II which is good value.

Or buy a brand-new Tiagra 9 speed groupset complete for £260 (big step-up from 2200 IMO)

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/groupset. ... _GS&bike=1
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2