SPD Sandals!

0scar
0scar Posts: 219
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
I literally cannot think of anything to say, the picture is truly worth a thousand words. Your thoughts?

sd65-main.jpg
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shimano_SD65_Sandals/5360020450/
Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)

Comments

• moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    I really want the Northwave ones

sandals-shoes-northwave-shark.jpg
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Paging LiT. LiT to the thread... :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Are they worn with black socks for the 'Englishman on holiday' look? :wink:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Can't se them being useful in the UK very often, but I used to use them in AU quite a bit. Even raced mountain bike wearing them once. Got very very dirty feet.
    John Stevenson
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    £57 are you mental? add another £23 you could buy a pair of Sidi's :shock:

plus they're saddles which I'm pretty sure is against the law in Britain, pretty sure :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • bol
    bol Posts: 138
    I wear them all summer on my commute. Yes, I look a di*k, but a di*k with very comfortable feet and amused colleagues. They're in a nice grey/blue colourway to fully rock the Euro look. Haven't ever stooped to socks with them yet.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    cjcp wrote:
    Paging LiT. LiT to the thread... :)

+1 :D
  • Can't se them being useful in the UK very often, but I used to use them in AU quite a bit. Even raced mountain bike wearing them once. Got very very dirty feet.

Bahahahahahaaaaa only useful from May until October every year!

They're also great for touring, dry ultra-fast and no need for socks, and super-comfy.

I loves 'em.

Ooooooooh the northwave ones are pwitty. I've have my ones for a long time and they're starting to look a bit worn... OH MY GOD do northwave make them with a 3-hole drilling? :idea:

I love SPD sandals... I might write an ode to them. I wonder if I could wear them in winter with sealskinz socks?

How do I love thee, SPD sandals, let me count the ways...
    everyone wrote:
    LiT, have you been drinking?
    Copiously :D
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I'm with LiT on this.

i've wanted some for years, but never quite been able to bring myself to pay the money....but i don't understand the philosophical objections - seem perfect for leisure cycling in the summer!!!

there's a pair of the northwaves on e-bay for 25 quid at the mo, size 9.5
    edit - only 2 holes though, sorry LiT!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I guess it all boils down to are you a saddle wearer?

Not even if Castelli made them, yuk!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • the problem I'd get is every time I've worn sandals or at least ones looking like this they have always been very uncomfortable.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    0scar wrote:
    I literally cannot think of anything to say, the picture is truly worth a thousand words. Your thoughts?

sd65-main.jpg
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shimano_SD65_Sandals/5360020450/

That they'd look nice with a pair of long white socks...
  • Shame they're so expensive, I clicked through expecting a sale price and would have bought them if the cost had been reasonable.

Can't think of anything better to ride in during summer, sandals all year round for me, just back from Tesco in shorts and sandals, never ever socks.

I am currently banned from buying the below however on pain of divorce.

http://www.purefootwear.co.uk/images/pr ... _BLACK.jpg

I often turn up at work in shorts and sandals and see how long it is before someone has the guts to mention it, nobody was too sure what to do when I mention diversity and that they formed a part of my religious dress code earlier this year :twisted:
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • Hmmm, I could go the northwave ones but the shimano offerings are butt ugly things. Have they got a decent walking sole on them?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    You get another form of cyclist tan when wearing SPD sandals too.

http://sheldonbrown.com/bike-screensave ... daltan.jpg
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • moonio
    I think I could wear the sandals in winter with cashmere socks, comfy, warm, cool, breathable, they dont smell etc etc.

But I cant seem to find the Northwaves in my size :(

Bahahahahahaaaaa only useful from May until October every year!

Either I have become a total wuss as a result of 14 years in Sydney, or you're far tougher than me.

Probably both :)
    John Stevenson
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I like mine.

They're pretty tired now though, happily Shimano are reintroducing the two strap version for 2010 :)
  • Aidy wrote:
    I like mine.

They're pretty tired now though, happily Shimano are reintroducing the two strap version for 2010 :)

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I must buy another pair immediately...

EDIT: Chain Reaction have them for but £48... sold!
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015

Hmm, prefer the 3 strap variant?

I haven't tried them, but they always looked to be a bit too enclosed - and I didn't have problems with only the two straps.
  • Aidy wrote:

Hmm, prefer the 3 strap variant?

I haven't tried them, but they always looked to be a bit too enclosed - and I didn't have problems with only the two straps.

I've never tried the 2-strap ones either, but I absolutely love mine, they're just brilliant.

They're one of the only items of cycle clothing that I have absolutely no minor niggles with and have made no adjustments to and wouldn't change at all.

So I'm buying another pair in case they never change back...
  • moonio
    I've just bought the Northwave sandals from Condor, they only had one pair, in my size, and in the sale.

:)
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I need a pair..... not for right now mind you.
    Like the look of the Northwave, but cant find them online anywhere, I am a small size 7.5

Might get the shimano at a push, though not sure whether 2 or 3 straps.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I'm sorry but spd sandals are just wrong. You people need therapy and a good talking to :wink:
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    SS502-1.gif

Finally found a pair which look decent, I picked these up from Spa Cycles online for a very fair £45.

Better than Merrell sandals in terms of quality, materials are quite stiff, cleats just tap the floor slightly when off the bike, rigid sole with just a touch of flex (again handy when off the bike), loads of adjustment, unusually rough insole, sizing seems very accurate.

Worth the money, no beard or socks required.....
    FCN4
    CUBE Peleton 2012
  • I haven't got any SPD sandals but I've ridden with sandals on flats and toe clips. In warm weather it's great. You know that feeling when it's finally warm enough to go out in shorts and you feel the breeze against your legs? Well, it's even better with your toes!
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    seataltea wrote:
    SS502-1.gif

Finally found a pair which look decent, I picked these up from Spa Cycles online for a very fair £45.

Better than Merrell sandals in terms of quality, materials are quite stiff, cleats just tap the floor slightly when off the bike, rigid sole with just a touch of flex (again handy when off the bike), loads of adjustment, unusually rough insole, sizing seems very accurate.

Worth the money, no beard or socks required.....

Thanks for the review, I've had my eye on those in Spa for a while but wondered if they were a bit cheap made & PVC looking (& I'm struggling to justify buying them in white)

The Lake ones are decent looking too. I'm keen on an enclosed toe box
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    shouldbeinbed

They are light grey and dark grey, no white in sight, just poor lighting in the picture.
    FCN4
    CUBE Peleton 2012
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    seataltea wrote:
    I am currently banned from buying the below however on pain of divorce.

http://www.purefootwear.co.uk/images/pr ... BLACK.jpg'

You should be currently banned from buying those on pain of PAIN, buddy.....
  • I love SPD sandals... I might write an ode to them.

There once was a cyclist called LiT
    Had SPD sandals, a marvellous fit
    A bit high-falutin’
    Methinks for commuting,
    And they also look a bit … rubbish

anon
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem