Upgrading 9 speed Campagnolo Daytona triple set up

racingt
racingt Posts: 108
edited December 2009 in Workshop
Hi guys, got an old serviceable 9 speed Daytona / Racing triple setup, but compared with modern shifters, it is as clunky as a very clunky thing. Compared with DA or even my Rohloff, it is an awful changer!!
Wheels are beautiful Chorus 9 speed.
Question is can I upgrade easily to Campag 10/11 speed? Or should I ditch the lot and go with Ultegra?? Can I get a Shimano type cassette to work on a Campy 9 freehub?
thanks for help,
Merry Christmas!!

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Your old wheels will accept 10/11 speed Campagnolo cassettes no problems - trying to fit Ultegra could be quite tricky. The new Ultrashift levers are a distinct improvement over the older models - shifting action is far lighter and smoother. You can probably just get away with upgrading the shifters, new cassette and chain if going to 10 speed - and probably getting away with the old gear mechs. In terms of the chainset, depends on whether you want to stick with the old triple or fit a compact.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • racingt
    racingt Posts: 108
    Thanks, that sounds like a good move. Perhaps I'll fit Athena 11.

I like the Racing Triple chainset, but the Q Factor is quite large, then again, I want to go to the Pyrenees in July, so the 30 is definitely better for me than a 34. I know there is little difference in the study in December, but halfway up a mountain in July, I need the lowest gears I can get!!

Thanks for response and merry christmas!!

Phil
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You could try fitting a 29 tooth cassette and keep to a compact?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • tenor
    tenor Posts: 278
    have no problem with my triple Daytona shift - just seems to get better with age.
    However, a new set up would be Athena 11 with the new 12-29 cassette - perfect!
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I'm in a similar position, currently running Centaur triple set up. I have decided to stick with Campag. Probably going to treat myself and get Chorus 11 speed when the 12-29 cassette becomes available. This will give me the same bottom gear as the current triple 30x26..