Play in cranks, how do you get rid of it?

antfly
antfly Posts: 3,276
edited December 2009 in Workshop
I have just noticed an alarming amount of play in my fsa omega crankset, how do you get rid of it please?
Smarter than the average bear.

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Assuming it is not a loose crank the bb needs replacing.
  • antfly
    OK, i`ve never taken a crank off, how do you get it off, also do you tighten the crank with the pinchbolts and does the fsa bb take the same tool as the shimano hollowtech? Thanks.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=122

BUT if it is the cranks with the ally preload bolt make sure it is in one piece.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • antfly
    Thanks.
    Do you mean the preload bolt might be broken?
  • nicklouse
    they have been known to but that in its self will not cause play as the pinch bolts hold it altogether.

But I am not 100% sure on the set up on those cranks.

play is either the cranks have moved (preload bolt and pinch bolts lose) or the bearings are worn.

the external bearing tools are similar/the same. (It is only Campy that some tools have issues with).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • antfly
    I see. I think it says on park tools the preload bolt should be done up very gently anyway and not tight. I`ll check all the bolts anyway before I buy a new bottom bracket.
  • nicklouse
    dont forget undo the pinch bolts a bit at a time, so as not to round out the head of one, before doing up the preload bolt.

tight pinch bolts will not allow the crank to move.
  • antfly
    Will do.