Boardman v Specialized?

flyer
flyer Posts: 608
edited December 2009 in Road beginners
I want to buy a hybrid for around town and upto 20 miles etc.

I have looked at the Sirrus and the Boardman, boardman has disc brakes but I am not sure about the groupset etc. I have Roubiax Pro and know a bit about specs on road bikes but not sure about hybrids. max spend is £500 any help appreciated.

BOARDMAN

Developed by Chris Boardman to the highest standards of performance, design and quality
Lightweight fully double butted aluminium frame for faster climbing and better power transfer
Lightweight aluminium fork with mountings for pannier racks and mudguards
SRAM X5 18 speed gearing for reliable shifting performance
Powerful Avid BB5 mechanical disc brakes
Truvativ Touro Powerspline compact chainset provides lower gear ratios for tackling hills with a higher cadence
Lightweight disc specific rims with sealed bearing hubs for longer bearing life
Maxxis Detonator 700x28c tyres for speed and comfort
Ritchey finishing kit including bar ends to give alternative hand positions for climbing and accelerating

Sirrus

Flat aluminum handlebars add comfort and confidence to your ride
Durable aluminum fork comes with rack eyelets for packing versatility
Lightweight A1 Premium Aluminum frame with hourglass speedstays provides a perfect balance of performance and comfort for fitness/commute rides
Easy-rolling All Condition Sport 700c tires are equipped with durable, all-weather traction
Body Geometry triple-density gel grips alleviate hand pain and tingling fingers for all-day riding comfort
Body Geometry Roulux saddle provides cushioning where it counts, with enough comfort for long-distance rides
Shimano EZ Fire shifters are just what you'd expect from the name—easy to use

Comments

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    The best one is the one that is most comfortable, for you
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    not if speed is an issue. :wink:
  • Cant really comment explicitly on the models that you are looking at, but I had a Spesh Allez sport, which I chose over the Boardman road...

My reasons were initally consmetic, but then down to comparisons on websites etc. The final determining factor was the Evans build over the Halfords build.

This however proved to be a wrongful comparison (still loved my spesh!) seeing as the evans build was rushed, sloppy and potentially dangerous...

So Id say get hold of one of each, ride them, see what you think!! Its a pain in the anus, but will answer any question about what bike is best for you, far better than a brandfan will.
    exercise.png
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155

My reasons were initally consmetic, but then down to comparisons on websites etc. The final determining factor was the Evans build over the Halfords build.

This however proved to be a wrongful comparison (still loved my spesh!) seeing as the evans build was rushed, sloppy and potentially dangerous..

Thanks for sharing this matt, it's important as outing other bad builders beside the usual halfords bashers may help highlight problems as I bet some would be less forthcoming in this situation.
  • rake
    dont put too much into where you buy it, youl still have to check it over.
  • i looked at both these bikes, decided on a ridgeback flight instead!
  • rake
    chrishumes wrote:
    i looked at both these bikes, decided on a ridgeback flight instead!
    looks a lovely bike. what is the main difference from aluminium.are they lighter. nice if youve got the money .