Are the Orange 5 noisey bikes? Any suggestions?

wordy1979
wordy1979 Posts: 96
edited December 2009 in MTB buying advice
Please help as I might be buying a Orange 5 but ive heard from a few people they are very noisey. Please help as I might be buying one.
YOU ONLY GET ONE LIFE. . . . LIVE IT!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The big tubes can amplify normal bike noises. That's about it.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    it has more to do with the kit you put on it and how well you set it all up really. And besides, if you can't put up with a bit of noise, then you're just a big girl.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    it has more to do with the kit you put on it and how well you set it all up really. And besides, if you can't put up with a bit of noise, then you're just a big girl.

No its not that im a big girl LOL. Just going to spend 3500 on a bike so need to do plenty of research before I make decision. :wink:
    YOU ONLY GET ONE LIFE. . . . LIVE IT!
  • ilovedirt
    Yeah, that is a lot of money. The best advice i can give is go and test one out, though from my experience, badly set up gears and squeaky brakes are the most noisy things on a bike, the rest i don't really hear, particularly if i'm riding off road, i mean do you REALLY notice that much?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    You probably could have kept all this in one thread mate :wink:

As people have said, you need to go and try the bikes your interested in, nobody can tell you which is best for you.
  • christk
    christk Posts: 122
    'The Orange Creek' My bike has suffered from this in the past, and I have heard others creek on the trails around Afan. Believe it or not was tracked down to the rear skewer (After advise from a bike shop who hires out a fleet of Orange 5). Removed, cleaned and applied some chain lub. At the same time I did clean and grease the main pivot bearings. Since then have had no problems what so ever.
  • Sorry if this is too obvious but when people say they are noisy they might be on about the pro2 hub which seems standard on the higher models
  • Ridden one for most of this year and it makes less noise than my Kona HT. In fact I don't recall any noise at all. So not sure about this as a reputation.

Th brakes squealed when metal met metal but that disnae count. The Pro2 hubs as the person before mentioned are noisy but that;s deliberate. I like that actually - means I know what I've got.
    Altogether - top bike, nae noises that shouldn't be there. Hope the purchase goes well :-)
  • Sorry if this is too obvious but when people say they are noisy they might be on about the pro2 hub which seems standard on the higher models

pro2 is a noisy click i admit that - but its a noise any spec whore will recognise ;)
  • ilovedirt
    i had an orange patriot for a while and i never noticed this "orange creak" of which christk speaks, i've never heard anyone else mention it before either....
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5