Boardman fs pro vs. fs comp vs. fs team

g-unit
g-unit Posts: 7
edited December 2009 in MTB buying advice
This may sound like a dumb question.... The boss has agreed to do the cycle2work scheme. I would love the Boardman fs pro, but it's over the £1000 limit for the scheme. Whilst i have the funds to buy the pro myself, i could get the comp for £550 under the scheme. I've read the review in what mountain bike about the rear shock being a pain to set up correctly. What you think? Get the comp and spend a a bit on upgrades (suspension, brakes etc.), or is the pro so much better that i should just bite the bullet and pay it myself?
Cheers

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    If it was me I'd pay the extra and get the Pro. Or maybe get the one thats £1000, so you don't have to put any extra in? You won't save anything by buying a cheaper one and upgrading it yourself. I've got a Boardman Pro HT btw, and absolutely love it, so enjoy whichever you choose.

I think you've got the prices wrong though, the FSs are priced at £700, £1000 and £1300 for the Comp, Team and Pro respectively aren't they?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Thanks for the reply - the fs comp is £700, but under the cycle to work scheme, i can get it for £550, and get the fs Team for £689 :D
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    I'd personally get the Team FS through the scheme if it was a choice of that or Pro FS and paying full price for it. Just my view though...
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Oh right, I see what you mean, but the £1000 limit is on the actual price of the bike in the shop, not the cost to you on the C2W scheme, so it's probably best to stick to those numbers (even if you know in your head that £1000 won't actually cost you £1000, if you see what I mean).

Don't buy anything with a plan of upgrading forks, shock, brakes etc to the same as the model above, it's just not worth it in 99% of cases. Especially so with the Boardmans as they seem to cost less than the sum of the parts, you almost get the frame free!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."