M575 or SLX brakes?

bike-a-swan
bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
edited December 2009 in MTB buying advice
Right, seeing as my 'make it out of cheap old bits' project bike isn't working thanks to the bits not wanting to fit together, I may just have to bite the bullet and shell out for some new wheels. I was going to make it V'd, but if I'm buying new wheels I want just disc, which means new brakes... and more money.

anyhoo, I want shimano and centrelock (hugely preferred to 6 bolt), and Merlin has the following deal on:
http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain- ... -sale.html

my question- on the mt15 wheels, are the slx brakes worth the £50 extra over the M575?

WMB and MBUK don't seem to be able to agree on the deores, and other reviews seem mixed. slxs have the advantage (i think) of common pads with my XT 765s (a third option is getting the new XTs and swapping them for the old XTs on the main bike, but yet more money...)

I'm out ideas, any experience welcome. Cheers!
Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.

Comments

• I'd go for handbuilt wheels and elixir 5's

perhaps deore hubs on 719 or stans flow with dt db spokes
  • bike-a-swan
    I'd love the handbuilt- I'm running 4.2s on XT, but they're a bit outside the budget! Cheers though!
  • alomac
    alomac Posts: 189
    M575 brakes are not Deore, but are non-series. Current Deore is M595. That might explain some of the contradictory reviews, but not all. I know WMB really rates M575, and has them as one of their 'top budget brakes' in the Buyer's Guide, but MBUK literally say "don't bother" (review on Bikeradar).

Seems like a bit of a gamble, maybe someone here will have actual experience of these brakes.

I have SLXes on 185/160mm rotors (Avid) and have always been happy with them. I'm also a fairly heavy rider at 92kg if that helps.
  • bike-a-swan
    strange, everywhere has them as a deore brake...
  • alomac
    alomac Posts: 189
    Shimano themselves describe them as "Deore-level" which probably doesn't help.
  • M575 Is shimano branded range not Deore!

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/con ... 575-W.html
    So Far!
  • well it's a 5 series brake so deore ish. It's like the oem deore stuff that shimano make. Bit cheaper but pretty damn similar.
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    The 575 brakes are turd, my mate has had no end of problems with his. They're not a patch on my older (one where the master cylinder is parallel to bars) deore for power, bite, modulation and reliablity

Go for the SLX or 2010 Deore if you can get them
  • the m575 brakes are really bad. The feel and moderation was really poor and the fade was really bad after 1hr on the trail. Pad wear was insane too! Hated these brakes..

I suggest got for the slx or take a look at chainreaction they have some really good deals going on now.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    eek ! :shock:
    was thinking of getting these myself cos the kit in white looks so bling.