Complete novice here, just bought a bike

AntonDonJuan
AntonDonJuan Posts: 7
edited December 2009 in MTB beginners
First post, and i haven't got a clue about mountain biking etc

I've just bought a bike to get me started, a carrera vengeance disc ltd, got it from Halfords in the sale for £299.99. Not got a clue if it's any good etc :oops:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

Can anyone please let me know if the bike is any good, if you've even heard of it and how to start off easy on it! It looks quite nice which is a start!

Thanks

:)

Comments

• llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    :lol: A bit late to ask now!

You've made a great choice for £300 mate, I don't think it was ever worth £530, but that's typical Halfords. Where do you live? You just need to get out and ride now :D
  • I know, well it's not technically bought but it's on reserve and collect! To be honest i don't understand the technical spec side of it, it just looked like it had some good parts to it and disc brakes and looked a good starter to get!

I like in Ashton-under-Lyne in tthe Tameside area, there's not many routes that i know of round here so i'll have to do some searching i think!
  • The bike will get you going and for that amount its got stuff that works. Thats the only bit that matters for now.

For routes around your area look at bikehike.co.uk , course creator then search routes in the bottom. There are a few near you and also other sites that do the same thing
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • It's got stuff that works, thats's the only bit that matters....that doesn't sound very promising haha.

I'll check that out mate thanks for that. I just wanted to know if i was getting a good deal/bike and a couple of routes :)

I can't wait to get out on it, i pick it up on Sunday :D
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    hello anton, that looks ideal for you to get your teeth into the sport. don't forget to get a lid if you haven't already got one and a basic repair kit (ie tyre levers, tube and pump) theres nothing worse than having to walk your bike home!!
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • Thanks Gaz, i need to get myself a repair kit i haden't thought about that and i'll pick a helmet up when i get the bike. Can't wait to get out in the cold and rain and get the white seat nice and muddy!
  • gaz047
    thats the spirit! if you get snow, riding in that offroad is great fun (think there may be some on the way :D )
  • Does it look like a bike which you can upgrade the parts on is it one to learn on and then buy a new one in a year or 2?
  • gaz047
    you can upgrade, but don't go mad you don't want to spend more on upgrades than what the bike actually cost, just change bits as they wear out. then as you say in a year or 2 go for a new one.
  • Dan Dare
    Dan Dare Posts: 367
    You can always upgrade parts as you go, I've only had my bike since August and I've already swapped the brakes, pedals and forks :lol: See how you get on with it first, there are loads of good trails in the Peak district and that's right on your doorstep :)
  • llamafarmer
    Does it look like a bike which you can upgrade the parts on is it one to learn on and then buy a new one in a year or 2?

Leave it be for now, if you really get into MTBing you'll get better value from a complete new bike than trying to upgrade the Carrera to a similar level.
  • Looks like your excited. getting muddy is one of the best bits (I was out in the snow this morning). Only you can decide if you want to upgrade. Unless some of the stuff stops working and you feel you "need" the next level up.

Do we expect an update on sunday? ie my legs, bum, toes ect hurt! I fell off! Wow loved it!
    Enjoy your new bike, which does look like a good deal.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • TheNorthernTrain
    TheNorthernTrain Posts: 1,049
    edited December 2009
    I'm running my bike into the ground, i thought about the upgrading route but it's gonna be cheaper for me if i save up for a much better bike, rather than upgrades, and just ride until i break this bike or i feel it really is time to step up.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    I know, well it's not technically bought but it's on reserve and collect! To be honest i don't understand the technical spec side of it, it just looked like it had some good parts to it and disc brakes and looked a good starter to get!

I like in Ashton-under-Lyne in tthe Tameside area, there's not many routes that i know of round here so i'll have to do some searching i think!

Being on the edge of the Peak District there should be tons of stuff only a short drive away.

Check your local Tourist info place to see if there any specific MTB routes, or a guide to bridleways. You're fine on bridleways, but not footpaths.

Where I live in Calderdale they printed a handy map showing all the rideable off-road routes. Really handy.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    And head east a tad towards Greenfield. Plenty of hills to have fun on
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • llamafarmer
    Have a look for a local MTB club too, it's a great way to improve your riding and learn new routes while making friends :D
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Welcome aboard :lol: What you'll find is that sometimes cycling enthusiasts get a bit carried away and all of a sudden you "need" £300 forks or wheels made out of spiderwebs, but that's a pretty capable bike and it'll do pretty much all of what you ask of it. Don't try any downhill race courses :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Yeah i'll probably buy a new bike in a few years with better stuff on rather than upgrading it tbh, I have a guy at work who is big into mountain biking and he has a scott bike with all the gear on and he is always banging on about how awesome his bike is etc lol

WIll it be OK for going on the road say if i fancy a ride out at night?
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Yeah i'll probably buy a new bike in a few years with better stuff on rather than upgrading it tbh, I have a guy at work who is big into mountain biking and he has a scott bike with all the gear on and he is always banging on about how awesome his bike is etc lol

WIll it be OK for going on the road say if i fancy a ride out at night?

Sure... no problem. You'll be a bit slower than any roadies out there that's all. :lol:
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    i recommend you spend at least £800 on upgrades immeadiatley.
    we can't have a workmate with a more trick bike can we ?
    :wink:

:lol:
  • llamafarmer
    mac man wrote:
    Sure... no problem. You'll be a bit slower than any roadies out there that's all. :lol:

It shouldn't stop you racing them though, if you do beat them on an MTB it'll ruin their day. Which is funny.
  • mac man wrote:

It shouldn't stop you racing them though, if you do beat them on an MTB it'll ruin their day. Which is funny.

and it makes you feel good!!
    On One Inbred 456
    On One Inbred SS