coming back to racing

bigricky
bigricky Posts: 92
edited December 2009 in Road beginners
Hi All,
i use to race about 15 years ago! im looking to make some sort of come back next season, i mostly train on my own, been out on a couple of club runs, but with work commitments not really getting out for the group rides, may get about 4/5 club runs in before season starts. will this get me fit enough for racing?

Comments

• get yourself a gps which will do you a virtual training buddie. Come back fitter than everyone else, wipe the table, ?????, profit.
  • Concentrate on quality to maximise your time, decide on what you want to get out of the ride before you start and stick to it.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Velop ... 360046516/

may also be helpful
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    It depends on what type of racing you intend to do. If road racing you may struggle to stay with the group. If TTs then no problem as you just ride to your current ability and pushing this will bring improvements. Just get out and ride them.
  • If you're time starved I suggest you get in touch with a coach. They can then plan a programme based around the time you've got available and the goals you have
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Haven't raced myself - planning to in 2010, but a recurring theme in the advice that was given was that once you're racing, the races provide the main source of fitness. The rest of the week is based around shorter/less tough efforts. I think!

Not that looking forward to the totally burrying myself and still getting shelled out the back after 5 mins for the first however many races, but I guess you need to start somewhere!
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    bigricky wrote:
    may get about 4/5 club runs in before season starts. will this get me fit enough for racing?
    Most club runs are a waste of time from a training point of view (although obviously it depends on your club - I'm talking about the traditional ride to a cafe social potter).............or did you mean chaingangs (ie fast group rides)? Chaingang rides can be very good training and allow you to practice bunch riding skills in addition (provided the other riders are of a similar or slightly higher ability level).

In any case, if that's the only training you were doing, then you'd almost certainly get dropped pretty quickly in your first race. A structured training plan to make the most of your available time is essential I think.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Depends on the club and the quality of rides - our splits into 2 come January - a fast group and a steady group. Fast is typically 4-5 hours with no stop at 19-20mph - you get dropped and you're on your own - 3 months of those plus some decent midweek rides makes you plenty fit for racing. You still need to do some speed / interval work closer to the season to cope with changes in pace and recoveries.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I'm like you, can't get out too often due to work commitments etc but.........I've only been cycling since I turned forty (4 months ago), looking at doing my first race in March. The way I look at it, you've gotta have the people to come second, third, twenty'th etc and last otherwise you don't get a winner.
    By not entering, you've automatically lost.
    If I don't win, then at least I've helped somebody else to :lo
    'If you worry you die, if you don't worry you still die, so why worry?"
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    I'm like you, can't get out too often due to work commitments etc but.........I've only been cycling since I turned forty (4 months ago), looking at doing my first race in March. The way I look at it, you've gotta have the people to come second, third, twenty'th etc and last otherwise you don't get a winner.
    By not entering, you've automatically lost.
    If I don't win, then at least I've helped somebody else to :lo

thunderousass
    judging by your location on your profile, i`m assuming your in carmarthenshire/ pembrokeshire. if so , i would suggest you get your self down to the pembrey and llandow crits to start with. both circuits are flat and reletively short, so if you get blown out the back you can simply sit up , wait for them to come round again and have another go. although at this point, you must remember not to get in their way. events i would stay away from are the ones in the beacons and up at aberystwyth. these can be seriously hilly and with all due respect as a novice , at best your going to struggle ,at worst you wont make half distance. you may also be interested to know , there is winter group training on carmarthen track, road bikes only. twice aweek at the moment.
    it would give you the opperunity to ride in a fast group .
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Hey thanks for the advice sub55

I've sent you a PM (save boring people on here)
  • sub55
    Hey thanks for the advice sub55

I've sent you a PM (save boring people on here)

not recieved a pm off you as yet. either wait abit or try again. or just post on here
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • I've tried to send a PM four times, just not happening, so sorry everyone who's having to read this also-

Hey thanks Sub55 for the advice, I'll keep away from the crits at Aber etc but I'm going to give the Pembrey races a bash, I think it could be painful but like you say, I can always sit up wait til they come around again then go again.

You mentioned about the track at Carmarthen, is that the one by Tescos?
    What nights and times do they meet, also how do you get to join in as it where?

Regards

Lee
  • sub55
    yeah carmarthen track is next to tescos.
    concrete bike track, 4 laps to the mile.
    training sessions at 6pm-8pm on Monday and 7pm-9pm on Thursday
    but i dont know whats happening over xmas and into the new year.
    just asked a friend of mine on another website, link below, keep an eye on it for an answer. as for joining in just turn up and have a go. £2 a session, i think.
    have a feeling though not sure ,its organised by cliff jackson of pembs velo.
    http://www.ystwythcc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15
  • Join a chain gang. This is a competitive cycling club.

To maximize your training get a indoor trainer to do high intensity interval training. This trains you well to endure the constant varying speeds in a race.
  • My advice is just enjoy it take it easy at first in so much as do not do too much too early, 1st year back after 15 years out.
    some people put to much time and effort in for their level of fitness/abilityl when they could do less and still have the same level expect to hit some form of fitness/form by June/july.
    And do not be disheartened if people batter you in training, as i training it means nothing, its in racing where it matters.