Talk me into/out of this Commencal Super 4.3

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited December 2009 in MTB buying advice
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/com ... e-ec017317

Well this is about the best deal i've found for 0% and availability and discount.

Shop is local to me too which is a bonus for collection/servicing etc.

So... what you rekon lads ? The bikeradar review is good for it.

What say the forum ?

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    good solid frame worth upgrading in the future and its a good price. if you want it go for it :)
  • weeksy59
    I'm pretty much sold. Just called some bloke who runs the Commencal owners forum and runs a shop. He's pretty much talked me into it.

Will likely be heading to Evans on Friday to sort it and buy :)
  • KulaBen
    KulaBen Posts: 220
    Does look like a good buy. My only advice with Evans is don't let them talk you into a bike that's too small. That said most people aren't as stupid as me!
  • fcumok
    fcumok Posts: 283
    A mate bought a bike from Evans last year. After a month of telling him it would be ready soon and then moving the dates they eventually told him they didn't have stock. :evil:
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    KulaBen wrote:
    Does look like a good buy. My only advice with Evans is don't let them talk you into a bike that's too small. That said most people aren't as stupid as me!

Blimey! What happened there?

Also - not cool with the delay either.
  • weeksy59
    Delays happen in places. Could be 1:3 or 1:20000 that does it... who knows.

I'm aware loads of people have had great service from Evans so prepared to risk it on that front.
  • Much as I think the commencal supers sound nice, I'm afraid the 2009 batch of commencals were pretty dodgy re frame reliability. That alone would put me off...

http://www.commencalownersclub.com/inde ... 957.0.html
  • weeksy59
    According to the figures it's only a very small number of frames and more the 5 series than 4 series, only <3% of them too.

Seems to be a good warranty process with Commencal which gives me confidence.

Maybe i'm putting the rose tinted glasses on because i'm pretty much sold on it.
  • Ian P
    Ian P Posts: 36
    My brother has a 4.1 which he rides pretty fast and agressively for a supossed xc bike (including quite a bit of air and some downhill stuff) and hasn't had any problems - he snapped his Giant Anthem X frame earlier in the year running into a boulder! Obviously one case doesn't really prove that much but in the end it I'm sure it is only a small minority that have problems (even if that small minority is bigger than other manufacturers small minority). Worth noting that they are sized small - his is a medium and he's at the limit on the seatpost at 5'11'' and its definitely too small for me at 6'.
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    weeksy59 wrote:
    According to the figures it's only a very small number of frames and more the 5 series than 4 series, only <3% of them too.

Seems to be a good warranty process with Commencal which gives me confidence.

Maybe i'm putting the rose tinted glasses on because i'm pretty much sold on it.

Commencal are pretty good with warranty replacements. They are slow but i`ve not heard of anyone being refused a replacement frame after their`s has cracked.

In fact i`ll be picking up my 2010 replacement 5 tomorrow :D
  • weeksy59
    Ian P wrote:
    My brother has a 4.1 which he rides pretty fast and agressively for a supossed xc bike (including quite a bit of air and some downhill stuff) and hasn't had any problems - he snapped his Giant Anthem X frame earlier in the year running into a boulder! Obviously one case doesn't really prove that much but in the end it I'm sure it is only a small minority that have problems (even if that small minority is bigger than other manufacturers small minority). Worth noting that they are sized small - his is a medium and he's at the limit on the seatpost at 5'11'' and its definitely too small for me at 6'.

Thanks mate, was planning on the Large and i'm 6'0
  • Commencal are pretty good with warranty replacements. They are slow but i`ve not heard of anyone being refused a replacement frame after their`s has cracked.

Fair enough. They do sound like a decent company and clearly had some bad luck this year with the manufacturers. I've also heard that the supers come up on the small side, so a L sounds like the way to go if you are 6'