Kona Dawg Deluxe any experiences ?

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited December 2009 in MTB buying advice
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/kona-daw ... 46700.html

Debating the above but the Bikeradar review is giving me cause for concern.

other reviews seem to rate it WAY beter than a 2.5 / 5.

Is it possibly a case of the bikeradar experts being a bit over zealous and harsh because they get to test such amazing machines so percieve and feel faults/issues that your average bloke may not consider a problem ?

Reason it's being considered is the 0% finance and the 41% off. I'm struggling to find anything else with that sort of discount that would make me not bothering with the C2W scheme a good idea.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... e-09-33134

Faults seem to be that's it's just a bit sloppy and sluggish compared to it's rivals.... Which at my level of skill, i'm not seeing being a huge concern LOL.

Thoughts ?

Comments

• covelove
    covelove Posts: 209
    I have had a shot on last years dawg and it seemed fine to me, like you say the standards are high for reviews so i would agree you might not notice any of the issues they have, also if you have problems with flexy wheels etc theres no reason why you cant change them down the line. as long as the frame, forks and shocks are solid, which they are
    was looking at one of these new one in evans at the weekend and it is certainly a looker :D
    does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    Don't forget that the price will also factor into the rating and these are always based on the full RRP, at 41% off the rating could have been alaot higher.
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    While the review only awards the bike half marks, it is not a particularly bad review in my opinion. As has already been said, you can always change the wheels at a later date if you are not happy with them.

The main components of a full suss bike are the frame, forks and rear shock. Fox up front and back so no problems there and the fork is also through axle which is good. As the review says the frame is solid and reliable so nothing to worry about there either.

For the money this is an absolute bargain!

What bike do you ride at the moment?

Stu
  • weeksy59
    Stu 74 wrote:
    While the review only awards the bike half marks, it is not a particularly bad review in my opinion. As has already been said, you can always change the wheels at a later date if you are not happy with them.

The main components of a full suss bike are the frame, forks and rear shock. Fox up front and back so no problems there and the fork is also through axle which is good. As the review says the frame is solid and reliable so nothing to worry about there either.

For the money this is an absolute bargain!

What bike do you ride at the moment?

Stu

HT Hardrock Sport.
  • weeksy59
    Ah well, looks like it's not going to happen.

Rang JE James and asked if they can do 0% on sale bikes

"yeah sure".... blah blah....

"oh not that one.. it's been reduced by too much already"

me, "so you'd rather not have the £1300?"

"yes".

Hmmmm ok... bye then LOL.
  • put it on a 0% credit card?
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • weeksy59
    Couldn't get it all paid off in the 12 months so would then have to transfer to a different one, or start paying interest.

Problem with a CC is it's effortless to pay just the minimum instead of the £100 a month you promised to get it paid off in time.... It lasts 3 years then and a load of interest.

At least with a finance agreement you are stuck to a set figure, once that's out for the period, it's all done and dusted.
  • You can get the std Dawg's for £1k (in real terms primarily just a lesser-specced fork?), again a bargain i reckon. A handsome bike, certainly - i really like mine esp with a set of Revs upfront :D