How 'bendy' is the Fizik Gobi XM?

bails87
bails87 Posts: 12,998
edited January 2010 in MTB buying advice
Right, I must have a weird backside because I don't like the Charge Spoon or the SDG Bel Air. (If anyone wants to buy a barely used one of either then PM me btw).

They're both too stiff for me, the SDG by a long way, the Spoon isn't so bad, but still not 'right'.

The one saddle I really liked was a Ritchey Marathon one, that's now pretty hard to get hold of, apart from in WCS or Pro guise, so it's expensive. I liked the fact that it was very 'swoopy', in that the middle section really flexed with the weight of certain bits of me on it, if you catch my drift.

So shall I stick with what I know I like and pay £60 for a Ritchey WCS, or £47.95 for the
Fizik that always gets raved about?

Basically, is the Fizik very 'saggy'? Or is it a stiff saddle like the SDG Bel Air, I weigh just under 10 stone, so I'm not putting a huge amount of force on it.
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Comments

• gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    got the gobi and had it for about 3 years, took a few rides to bed in but the best i have owned and would def get another. it has some flex at the rear and at the sides, but the rest is pretty firm. its also a long saddle too so theres plenty of adjustment available. .
    i've not tried the ritchey so can't comment or compare, less than £50 is a good price for the gobi. give it a go.
    gaz
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • it's not padded much at all, but has a lot of shell flex.
  • bails87
    Hmmm, thanks Gaz, so if you put your hand in the middle of the saddle, in between where the rails join at the front and back, can you push down and get a bit of bend out of it?

Might just go for the Gobi at that price, I'll have a few thinking days though!

(sorry for the Q's, I would go to the LBS but they don't have them, and I don't think Evans would be too happy to fit one to a bike so I can bend it about, only to say "cheers, I'm off to order from Merlin!)
    MTB/CX

• bails87
    it's not padded much at all, but has a lot of shell flex.

You put that just as I was typing my previous post.

But that's perfect, exactly what I wanted to hear :D

Just like the one I liked, not padded, but flexible (shame it cracked really!)
    MTB/CX

• They're nice, i've got a gobi, gobi xm (which is nicer) and a gobi xm superlight that only has 1.5 rails (one snapped!)
  • Looking at these myself, would love a red one like on the zesty 917 but no where does them.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Looking at these myself, would love a red one like on the zesty 917 but no where does them.

http://www.fizik.it/shop_customize_features.aspx?id=0711131129048401652---1E

Any colour you want :wink:
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    lol thanks ridewhenever thats what i was trying to describe to bails87 (but not very well!)
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • bails87
    Cheers guys, fortunately Merlin have also got the (cheap) reproofing stuff for my waterproof, so I can hide the saddle amongst the 'sensible' purchases! :lol:
    MTB/CX

• the uk distributor only has black and white and neither are in stock ATM, only the full carbon ones available.

I want custom ones for my bikes, red, baby blue and white...
  • the uk distributor only has black and white and neither are in stock ATM, only the full carbon ones available.

I want custom ones for my bikes, red, baby blue and white...

You can order direct from Fizik website!
    So Far!
  • I want a red one and a white one. Going to have to go direct.
  • whats 130euro in normal money?
  • £116 all but a few pence.
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I don't think Evans would be too happy to fit one to a bike so I can bend it about, only to say "cheers, I'm off to order from Merlin!
    Evans will price match if you take a printout of the page with the cheaper price and a contact number so they can verify it.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • I want a red one and a white one. Going to have to go direct.

You can only change the centre colour at the back of seat always black, I was gutted about that as well.
    So Far!
  • £116 all but a few pence.
    bloody hell... for a saddle :shock:
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    it has built in flex wings or summin doesnt it?
    I like bikes and stuff
  • basically the saddle shell has notches (about an inch long) machined into the sides then filled with something like silicone sealant. Takes a while for the little strips to soften and flex.

They also have it round the rear.
  • Looking at getting one, but heard problems with the wings, cracking etc.

Anybody heard of this before?
  • mine cracked, but it did get very abused, it still rode well until a rail broke in half, at that point it felt rather different, much narrower and now as comfy.

Generally cracking isn't actually an issue, if it happens you need that flex.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Seriously considered one but went for a Spesh Phenom SL (with carbon and ti) - very comfy (even without padded shorts), very light and pretty slick.

P1000445.jpg
  • estevens wrote:
    I want a red one and a white one. Going to have to go direct.

You can only change the centre colour at the back of seat always black, I was gutted about that as well.

P1000368.jpg

Its arrived! I contacted Fizik about having a black on with a red back and sides and they kindly added the other colour options for the back and sides to there website! Winner, great company to deal with as well.
  • loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    Nice seat Rick why did you not go for the white center?
    So Far!
  • Its for on my Blur and white would have looked out of place. Looks sweet on the bike.