brake / shifter upgrade opinions

biff55
biff55 Posts: 1,404
edited December 2009 in MTB buying advice
thinking of gettin meself the shimano m535 deore dual control hydro brake / shifter kit as
a surprise xmas present to myself :D
anyone used or know of this product and have useful opinion to share ?
i know the dual control may be not everyones taste , but im using combined shifters / brake levers anyway , albeit cable discs , so easier / cheaper to keep it that way.
and its just the front mech shifter being replaced.
brakes good ? decent build quality ?
cheers.

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I had dual control levers and changed them - it makes it very hard to upgrade or change the brakes/gears independently of each other. Also its harder to position the controls independently of each other. For example I like my brakes in the "motorbike" position, because I ride motorbikes every day and get used to where the brakes are, but I like my gears (which are push/push) in set quite far back for easy reach.

Also if you want to sell on your brakes - they are worth more on ebay if you sell them as a complete unit which will make it much easier for the next owner to install.
  • biff55
    thanks for input diy , however resale issues are not important , just reviews of the products " ability"
    as for your comments on control positions , i thought the brake lever was used to change gear hence making shifter trigger position irrelevent ?
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    i've got the old xtr ones, used them for 2 years on an anthem and the last year they've been on my hardtail.
    no issues whatsoever with them, light, good power for their size and they've been bled twice in that time.
    cause their old, the ones your looking at will probably be as good if not better as the technology will be better.
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • biff55
    something positive , thanks :D
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    no worries :wink:
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se