Good deals on disc brake kits, but which one should I get?

Darra8
Darra8 Posts: 721
edited December 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys,

I have found some rather excellent deals at Merlin at the moment, but which out of these 3 would you guys recommend for general XC use?

These are complete front and rear kits inc rotors

Magura julie £90
Avid juicy 3 £90
Avid juicy 5 £125
Avid elixir 5 £121

Cheers,

Steve
40 year old pussy who "still" hates the thought of falling off!!

Comments

• moggy82
    moggy82 Posts: 726
    Elixir 5 without a doubt,

Check out the review on www.muddymoles.org.uk

I have Juicy 5's and just got some Elixir 5's for my other half i am so jealous now. They are tiny rotors but feel so good!
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    might wanna note the juicy 5's are out of stock last time i checked
  • Having tried both, I'd go for the Elixir 5s over the Juicy 5s without hesitation every time. But I've never tried the Maguras so can't comment on them.
  • Avid juicys never again would I have them darken my bike!! I have had 3s and 5 and both are crap. I have ordered the Julie HPs £109 from Noahs ark and they are meant to be jolly good. In fact a guy who has elixirs on his other bike prefers the julies as they are hassle free.
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    monkeysm8 wrote:
    Avid juicys never again would I have them darken my bike!! I have had 3s and 5 and both are crap. I have ordered the Julie HPs £109 from Noahs ark and they are meant to be jolly good. In fact a guy who has elixirs on his other bike prefers the julies as they are hassle free.

Explain
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    +1 for an explanation ... I have Juicy 3s and 7s on different bikes and never had a complaint about them beyond some kack handed bleeding (by me).

from that list though I'd chose the Elixirs. My understanding is that they are replacing Juicy's in the Avid line-up and everyone I know that has used them has said good things. Considering upgrades myself.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • i just bought the elixirs but havent got them fitted yet. What about the hayes strokers??
  • In the garage we've got juicies (3sl, 7's) and elixirs i've also tried the hayes and the julies very briefly.

I'd say the elixirs, they take a bit of getting used to with their touch-the-brake-and-act-like-you've-slammed-into-a-wall initial feel, but that does soften a bit with some time.

Haven't tried to bleed them yet, but when i put on the goodridge hose i'll see how bad it is. The juicies are a pain to bleed in comparison to some other systems, but doable. The hayes are nice, but a touch wooden, but without the reserve feeling the elixirs have, that there is much more there even if it's stopped you already.

The julies seemed okay, but nothing overly special.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    im not a fan of avids as find they bite way too agressivley (used elixir cr/juicy3/7)

id put some money towards some formula k18s if you can get soem at the right price.
  • Darra8
    Thanks guys.

It seems that quite a few of you don't like avids. I think I might look at a set of Hayes stroker rydes in stead.....possibly
  • Darra8 wrote:
    Thanks guys.

It seems that quite a few of you don't like avids. I think I might look at a set of Hayes stroker rydes in stead.....possibly

I had a set of Stroker Trails on my yeti (the same as ryde but with a couple more features) and they were spot on, I was going to get a set of juicy 3s for my kona, but now am going for the rydes.... they were great brakes
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    Darra8 wrote:
    It seems that quite a few of you don't like avids.

I count 2 in this thread who don't like avids, at least one of which seems to be of the OMGWTF AVIDARESHIT!!oneeleven variety, just about everyone else recommends them.

2 < quite a few, your decision though
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Darra8
    Actually, your quite right, the majority do seem to like them!

I would like the elixir 5's but they are white, and i'm not sure how they would look on my bike, as there is no other white on it.