Land rover 2010 bike

Mandrax
Mandrax Posts: 24
edited December 2009 in MTB buying advice
okay so i have been thinking about getting a bike for ages but someithng always gets in the way, finally i think i might be able to get one. I went to my local bike shop and he recommended Land Rover 2010 Experience Pro. I went for a test run and quite liked it has any one bought this found a problem with it or seen aything that might come across as cutting corners?

thanks a lot.

http://www.thegreenbikecompany.co.uk/bikes_for_sale.aspx?ProductID=162

link.

Comments

• i have a landie tahora all i can say is BIG THUMBS there not bad bikes and i abuse mine but no cracks yet ! had it 3 yrs so must be good ?
    The sound of a car door opening in front of you is similar to the sound of a gun being cocked.
  • oh yeah i ripped everything off it appart from the brakes but thats just me i cnt leave things alone have to upgrade everything :lol:
    The sound of a car door opening in front of you is similar to the sound of a gun being cocked.
  • awesome, do you think it is good value though?
    obviously the guy was really trying to sell it and he knew his stuff kind well i thought (im only 14 so what do i know) i hate people who cant admit flaws though. at £300, there price, i know there has to be something bad.

I was told to look for lockout forks last time I was here and they do. everything adds up but im a little confused.

sorry for warbling on.
  • oh, lol so really you just liked the brakes? all i really need to know is: Is it good value for money, Is there anything specifically wrong with it -flaws wise and will it last?
  • ithink mine was 280 ish yeah there worth it id recomend it if your jus startin or on a buget but the suntour forks are a bit tempermental in winter mine froze solid lol but i had them 4 a couple of days b4 gettin sum dirt jumpers
  • Mandrax wrote:
    oh, lol so really you just liked the brakes? all i really need to know is: Is it good value for money, Is there anything specifically wrong with it -flaws wise and will it last?
    well worth the money and no bad says on it frame wise
  • hmmm, chances are ill have themlocked permanently or most of the time so hopefully it wouldnt matter as much, obviously i would need them when i felt like going more offroad.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    It's not a really bad bike from the specs, but there are better bikes out there, such as the Carrera Vulcan from Halfords

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65499#dtab
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • nothing especially wrong with it. I like the mech disc touch, good for the upgrade, far better than a 27 speed drivetrain tbh.

If you like the ride and it's in budget go for it.
  • Mandrax wrote:
    hmmm, chances are ill have themlocked permanently or most of the time so hopefully it wouldnt matter as much, obviously i would need them when i felt like going more offroad.
    well mine didnt hav lock out so u mite be better off on that level lol
  • just inside with a little help form parents :P

thing is hopefully i would intend to keep it until i have a job (parttime) then ill get something nice.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I've seen better for the money - the 7 speed freewheel is a low point.

Decathlon and Carrera have better specced machines.
  • I went and looked at the carrera Vulcan and frankly didnt like it as much as this. Is there a major difference in spec? or is it relatively similar?
  • Don't bother. I have and have now replaced a Land Rover Karnac, its ok if you're just riding a short distance along a tarmac cycle path. Anything more than that then the inferior components let you down.

Furthermore It won't be cost effective to up grade bits as you go along plus you'll still have a cheap frame, so you may as well save up for something better or look into the cycle to work scheme / 0% finance offered by shops these days.
  • i dont work... but really? are the salespeople allowed to lie?
    he was really behind it.
    damnit if aything this has made me more uncertain and slightly depressed..
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    There are better montain bikes for similar money, a basic spesh hardrock, gt avalanche, felt Q220 or if you are really lucky an 08 or 09 Mongood tyax on offer. There are other entry level bikes under £300 that will have frames that are worth upgrading.
    What do you want the bike for?
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • mainly just messing around on the roads getting offroad now and then, nothing to rough, why?
  • pretty much i screwed my other bike (it was rubbish anyway) and the bit at the back of the chain sorry for not knowing the name of it snapped went up into my back wheel and I just decided i need a bike.
  • hes young and jus looking for a bike to play on itll b fine for him i use mine for crazy xc free riding dirt jumping and skidding i love it its fun for me and i was out of work when i got it an i dont regret it 3 years of pure fun :lol:
  • im not light and i can be a little rough, will it hold up? i just want a bike that wont snap looks pretty cool, and goes quick
  • Mandrax wrote:
    im not light and i can be a little rough, will it hold up? i just want a bike that wont snap looks pretty cool, and goes quick
    mate jus get it ! u wont regret it trus me if it breaks ill buy you a bike .......... but ill want proof that it snapped lol
  • sounds good :P

wouldnt it be greatif i now told you im 30stone ? :)
    shame im 9 and a bit :(

okay ill just go with it. lol
  • Mandrax wrote:
    sounds good :P

wouldnt it be greatif i now told you im 30stone ? :)
    shame im 9 and a bit :(

okay ill just go with it. lol
    lol im 10 1/2 an dont have probs with mine jus get fatter tyres i have a maxxis high roller on the back @ 26x2.35 and a continental vertical 2.3 on the front fast as fu*k i leave all te roadies they struggle 2 keep up then ill lite a fag up lol jus to produce fumes hahahaha i like the ride of it very responsive and fassssssst :P
  • If you've tried it out and like it then I'd just go for it - it doesn't sound like you're planning on doing anything too heavy so I'm sure you'll be fine.

However, if you want to try some others for comparison then this offers more for your money: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/rockrider-5-3-69568390/

For £300 you'd probably struggle to beat that.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Mandrax wrote:
    I went and looked at the carrera Vulcan and frankly didnt like it as much as this. Is there a major difference in spec? or is it relatively similar?

Spec wise, yes. Will have a lighter frame, better fork, 8 speed gearng with freehub.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Mandrax wrote:
    mainly just messing around on the roads getting offroad now and then, nothing to rough, why?

Why? Because every bike is a compromise it just depend on what you need and don't need a bike to do. For pottering about a transport and easy bridalways any rigid hybrid with devent v brakes wtl do the job a bonus would be disc ready frame and forks just incase. But you could have wanted something to play on so a jump/freeride bike would be better. You know for the geometry and components.
    There are still better bikes out there for the money. An 8 speed freehub and shifters is a start, for future upgrades/repairs.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll: