Wheel advice

rudivoller22
rudivoller22 Posts: 492
edited December 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I'm currently building up a bike - 2004 Epic frame and am looking at a new wheelset. I literally have been given a lot of advice often conflicting from my mates on rims, hubs, sealed cartridge bearings, weight etc so basically have no idea which ones to get.

Ideally I would like to spend no more than £200 but could go over that if needed.

Some suggestions i have been given are 2009 Mavic Crossrides, Bontanger Race Discs and the Superlegerra XC sets from Superstar Components. Are any of these good enough - I mainly ride XC/trails (Dalby, Glentress, Coed Y Brenin etc)

Any suggestions I would be very grateful for.

Comments

• I'd say go for some handbuilts from merlin.

719 on slx hubs with dt double butted spokes.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    £228 for Hope Pro IIs, DT Comp spokes and ZTR 355 rims?

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/24181/Hope_Pro_2_Standard_Stans_355_Rear_Wheel

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/24176/Hope_Pro_2_Standard_Stans_355_Front_Wheel

Slightly overbudget but you get a hell of a lot for your money. These ones come in about 1650g, if you want 150g or so lighter there is also the Hope XC3 wheelset on 355 rims on there for about £300. That one's 24 spoke though so they come out quite a bit flexier.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I used to have a 2004 Epic. Lovely bike...only problem being it pinchflatted all the time. Not sure if the early brain suspension contributes to this - there's a school of thought online that goes with this being the case. Even when run at higher pressures.

Anyway - the point I was going to make is that whatever wheelset you run, I would recommend tubeless to eliminate this problem
  • hoathy
    hoathy Posts: 776
    would avoid the crossrides, they are fine, but not really up to the standard of the rest of your kit if you are running an epic. Bontrager wheels have a pretty bad relibility repuatation, and aren't cheap considering this.

Superstar hubs are supposed to be very good but haven't been around for that long.

For £230 you can have a set of Mavic XC717s (a great, light weight rim which is fine as long as you aren't going over 2.1 inch tyres) on Hope Pro 2s, which most people agree are a damn good hub with sealed cartridge bearings.
    - Kona Hot '96 - Marin Rift Zone '09 - Cannondale Synapse Carbon '06 - Kona Caldera '98 - Kona AA '94 - Dawes Kickback II - Cannondale BadBoy '11 - Genesis iOiD SS -
  • hoathy
    hoathy Posts: 776
    Mccraque wrote:
    Anyway - the point I was going to make is that whatever wheelset you run, I would recommend tubeless to eliminate this problem

Ghetto tubeless to the max!
    - Kona Hot '96 - Marin Rift Zone '09 - Cannondale Synapse Carbon '06 - Kona Caldera '98 - Kona AA '94 - Dawes Kickback II - Cannondale BadBoy '11 - Genesis iOiD SS -
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    ... or get the Stans rims and use their 50g Olympic rim strip, or even the rim tape to drop another 40g or so.

Crossrides are fine too, I'd rather have them then the Shimano option but that's another discussion which has gone on numerous times :P The only downside ito Crossrides is their weight (2kg-ish, similar to the SLX hub on 719 though) and the fact it's very hard to get spares when things start to wear down, freehub parts, spokes etc. Aside from that mine were fantastic.
  • Thanks guys, sounds like it would be worth shelling out a bit more and getting the Hope Pro 2s anyway. Cheers for the advice re pinchflat probs on the Epic.

Are the Stans 355 rims the better option to run tubeless? I've run a 2007 Rockhopper up to now and never really delved into tubeless but my mate runs tubeless nobby nics on his Lapierre and raves about it.