Repairing a cracked carbon frame.

matterai
matterai Posts: 176
edited December 2009 in Workshop
Hi

I have a Specialized Tarmac SL frame and forks that is cracked due to a crash.

It has a crack in the top tube and one of the seat stays. I have ridden it since and to me it has felt fine.

As I am now riding with a club I feel that I should either buy a new frame or have this one repaired as I dont want to cause an accident if the frame does give up.

Someone I ride with used a company called HQ Fibre in Norwich to have a carbon disc wheel repaired. Someone else at my club highly recommeneded them. I spoke to them the other day and they didnt seem to think repair to my frame would be problem.

I just wondered if anyone has had any such work done and if you felt it was worthwhile.

Did the bike feel the same as before a crack?

Do you think it is worthwhile doing or would you advise against it? It is likely to cost c£120 I think.

Or if anyone knows of a 58/XL Tarmac SL or 2 or 3 for sale nice and cheap I could be interested in that. :wink:

Thanks

Comments

• rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    HQ are brilliant apparently. a mate had his CR1 chainstay done and it has been fine. Don't they claim it'll be stronger than before?
  • matterai
    Thanks for the reply.

I dont know if they claim that but a shop more local to me said something like that although I dont have the confidence he had done it that often.
  • rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    If HQ say they can do it and you want it done then go for it. There's been quite a few people had stuff repaired by them on the timetrialling forum, always with good praise from their customers. Certainly the CR1 repair I saw looked extremely good.
  • matterai
    Thanks

The person that had the wheel repaired is a regular on Timetriallingforum too.
  • fibre lyte in the north east did a top notch job on my crash damaged carbon frame.
  • fibre lyte in the north east did a top notch job on my crash damaged carbon frame.