18" frame

bianchi777
bianchi777 Posts: 101
edited December 2009 in Road beginners
I've seen a classic steel racing bike on ebay that I really like- it is a Bianchi!- and I'm thinking of having a punt on it. The only problem is the size of it. It's described as being 18" and I'm slightly concerned I may be too tall for it at 5'11.

I'm not sure about inch sizing as I'm used riding bikes described in cm...most of my bikes are 56 or 57cm. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• It depends on how its been measured - but a 57cm frame is about 22.5" .
  • Is it this one ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-BIANCHI-R ... 23042a9996

Its a kids bike - and a toy. Also, don't forget that Bianchi are a general bike manufacturer and turn out a whole range of very poor low spec bikes.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW the only Bianchis worth having are the Reparto Corse models - if you consider Bianchi to be the Italian equivalent of Raleigh, the bulk of their products are volume produced of no intrinsic value - Bianchi are owned by the same Swedish parent company who also license Peugeot - no one really gets dewy-eyed about old Peugeots though.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • blackhands wrote:
    Is it this one ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-BIANCHI-R ... 23042a9996

Its a kids bike - and a toy. Also, don't forget that Bianchi are a general bike manufacturer and turn out a whole range of very poor low spec bikes.

Oh, wow. I didn't know. It's difficult to tell although I suppose that huge plastic chain guard was kind of a warning.

Thanks for the advise- I will be staying away from it!
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Monty Dog wrote:
    FWIW the only Bianchis worth having are the Reparto Corse models - if you consider Bianchi to be the Italian equivalent of Raleigh, the bulk of their products are volume produced of no intrinsic value - Bianchi are owned by the same Swedish parent company who also license Peugeot - no one really gets dewy-eyed about old Peugeots though.

Actually, plenty of people over here get misty eyed over old Peugeots. The higher end models go for quite a lot of money, and that's boosted the value of the lower end ones too. Anyway, these older bikes were made before Grimaldi involvement....