Urgent!!is this bike any good ??

princeuk7
princeuk7 Posts: 16
edited December 2009 in Road beginners
dear friends
this is a bike selling on ebay please have a look and tell me if this bike is any good for my first road bike
hopefully its not sold before ur replies
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/54-road-bike-CERV ... 25578e2969

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think its been nicked. Also it was previously owned by Daul Daniels as it seems to be floating magically.

If the bloke spent nearly 2 grand building this and is selling it for £550 it seems a bit too good to be true. Just my opinion. :wink:
  • Anonymous
    It's an old spec bike (9sp Ultegra) with a fairly low spec TT frame and cheapish finishing kit.

Price is probably reasonable.
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    IMO the price is quite good, not one I'd go for though. Not sure why I think some of the finishing on it is trying to look the part.

Not sure this helps much :wink:
  • As a first road bike a TT frame is not a good idea. It will not be particularly comfortable.

The bike is a collection of odd parts - why fit an ultegra triple c/set on a TT frame - and I doubt if it cost anything like £1800 to put together. Its probably worth his buy it now price (just - but not a bargain), but I wouldn't recommend it.
  • I think it must have been owned bu Paul Danniels as 'I like it, but not alot'

(sorry the use of this pun dosn't help you in deciding)
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    IT's not a TT frame, just a normal road frame
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    no problem with the seller - lots of feedback, has a history of buying bike bits. Not dodgy by the looks of it.
  • 2alexcoo
    2alexcoo Posts: 251
    It just looks thrown together from a mish-mash of bits. The original RRP of all the bits put together might have been £1800 back in the day, but bear in mind there are plenty of new bikes you can buy for a grand that are much better than this.

Also, if it's your first road bike the most important thing is that it fits you properly. I wouldn't buy any bike without trying it for size first, which rules out Ebay unless you're local to the seller.
    Alex
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    edited December 2009
    I doubt if the bits came to £1800 when he bought them.
  • IT's not a TT frame, just a normal road frame

I bow to your superior knowledge. He describes it as a TT frames and I wouldn't disagree that a frame with such a short wheelbase and a cutout seat tube coulod be described as a TT frame. Mind you he describes it as Italian - Fuerte Bici are a firm based in East Anglia - made in Italy - doubtful..
  • skinson
    skinson Posts: 362
    I think its been nicked. Also it was previously owned by Daul Daniels as it seems to be floating magically.

Well that's it then lets demonize the "thief" Before we go any further!! You haven't the slightest idea that the bike is stolen so why make such a derogatory comment? Engage brain before putting mouth into gear comes to my mind..
    Dave
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    I wouldn't pay £550 for that bike. I'm certain for your money you could find something much nicer. A new Ribble can be had for about that, I recently sold a very tidy Giant SCR
    2(??...can't remember) on eBay for a bit more than £300.

That frame is bloody awful too!
  • better bargains to be had on the bay . wait till after xmas
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    blackhands wrote:
    IT's not a TT frame, just a normal road frame

I bow to your superior knowledge. He describes it as a TT frames and I wouldn't disagree that a frame with such a short wheelbase and a cutout seat tube coulod be described as a TT frame. Mind you he describes it as Italian - Fuerte Bici are a firm based in East Anglia - made in Italy - doubtful..

The geometry to me seems to be more road than TT. Most of my road bikes have pretty short wheelbases. Seattube cutouts are becoming quite popular on aero road bikes these days too.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    skinson wrote:

Well that's it then lets demonize the "thief" Before we go any further!! You haven't the slightest idea that the bike is stolen so why make such a derogatory comment? Engage brain before putting mouth into gear comes to my mind..
    Dave

Tongue firmly in cheek when posting, hence the floating bike jape.......... :roll: