2009 FSA K Force Light Carbon Seatpost

top_bhoy
top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
edited December 2009 in Workshop
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/FSA_K_Force_Light_Carbon_Seat_Post_2009/5360042302/

I'm interested in buying this but on the Wiggle site it states in the Q&A that for the 2009 FSA K Force Light Carbon Seatpost, it isn't possible to fit a Fizik Aliante (with carbon rails) to it. I'm not fully understanding of why this is the case, can anyone explain in relatively simple terms why it is.

I have a Selle Itaia saddle in mind to fit to this seatpost but don't want to get the seatpost if a) it doesn't suit and b) if the Selle Italia doesn't suit me, find I am limited in my choice of saddle selection to only a few brands/models as a replacement.

I can't understand why certain saddles can't fit :? :?:

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,708
    You can use virtually every saddle ever made with it. The problem is the carbon rails on the Aliante. The seatpost cradle where the rails sit touches in 2 places rather than 1. This means the same pressure needs to go on 2 smaller areas rather than one much larger area.

Carbon fibre's not particularly strong in compression like that. The crushing force will be a lot higher with the smaller areas, and could easily crush the rails, leading to the seat failing and you with a seatpost where the sun doesn't shine. Use metal rails and you'll be fine.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I always had problems with galvanic corrosion between the carbon rails of my Aliante (original model) an the aluminium seatpost cradle
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    You might want to PM NapD as he has a carbon railed Aliante with this seatpost on his Look if I remember correctly.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Coach H wrote:
    You might want to PM NapD as he has a carbon railed Aliante with this seatpost on his Look if I remember correctly.

You do remember correctly!

Have a look at the thread entitled 'Looky here' in the 'Your Bikes' section.

Not had a problem. (I was not aware of an issue when I bought the combo over 12 months ago...)