Metal Screeching Braking

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited December 2009 in Road beginners
I have bought a new pair of Campagnolo Zonda wheels and for some reason when I brake on the back wheel it makes a very unpleasant sound a bit like muted sandpaper on metal.

The funny thing is that it doesn't happen on the front wheel which is the same and using the same brake pads and both brake pads have more than enough life left in them.

Does anyone know why this might be?

My thoughts were that it was because I was using cheap brake pads (Shimano BR-1055).
17579.jpg
So I am going to get some quality ones, but have a few questions:

Are the 'Campagnolo' pads you see all over ebay genuine, or does it just mean they are simply Campagnolo compatible and inferior? eg/. http://tinyurl.com/yd4qsk6
I cannot seem to find any brake shoes to slip the pads in (the bike didn't come with any) so can anyone point me in the direction of finding some?
Any suggestions on good brake pads?

Thanks.
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Check whether there is anything embedded in the blocks.
    Shimano pads have a bit of a reputation for picking up bits of grit, and it happens more on the rear wheel because it gets sprayed with road muck off the front wheel.

Campag pad holders generally come with the brakes. Koolstop sell campag compatible holders. Shimano also do similar pad holders, and Koolstop also sell those (and the pads). Koolstop pads don't pick up anything like as much grit as Shimano ones do
    Most others (Clarks, Fibrax, BBB etc) just do the Shimano type holders.

It's possibly best to use the same type of holder as your brake. Shimano holders can be a tight fit in Campag calipers, and need a little filing - or could it be the other way round :?:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    They're copies, not originals. I think Aztec and Barradine amongst others do Campagnolo compatible cartridge shoes and pads
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Are the 'Campagnolo' pads you see all over ebay genuine, or does it just mean they are simply Campagnolo compatible and inferior? eg/. http://tinyurl.com/yd4qsk6

Those pads are fine, as good as originals IME. I use them on my winter bike in Centaur calipers.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • bsm2dj
    bsm2dj Posts: 26
    Could it just be that since your wheels are new it is the top layer of the rim wearing off? Like the other poster says, check your blocks and make sure there isn't anything stuck in them. I sometimes get this noise when it is really wet and the braking surface gets covered in the black gunk from the brake blocks.

I am sure you have already checked this but have you set up the blocks correctly? Is the back of the block catching before the front giving that characteristic squeal?